SE Singlecut review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Singlecut

Purchased from: Ebay

This review is for a 2009 Paul Reed Smith SE Singlecut made with a korina body. It was made in Korea and has a 25" scale, wide-fat neck profile and 22 frets on a nice looking rosewood finger-board with half-moon inlays for the fret markers. It has two humbuckers, a 3-way switch, one volume and one tone control. Absolutely simple and just a joy to play! I'm guessing the weight is around 5.5 lbs and it has sustain almost as good as a 9.5 lb guitar I own! The humbuckers do not have a coil split function and they are much brighter than the standard SE 245 type bass & treble p'ups. It's easy to edge into single coil Strat-type tones with this one and no hum! The pickups handle gain very well up to about 8 on the vol pot when they start to muddy up... a bit.

The neck is fast and smooth and fits the hand well. The fret edgers are dressed very well as is typical of PRS guitars. And did I mention it's just a joy to play it? It's not a real looker due to the unstained korina body, in fact I call it Col. Mustard... in the music room... with a pick! This is a seriously fun guitar and if you can snag one for a decent price, it's well worth adding to you guitarsenal.

I'm into mostly blues and rock and this guitar fits me better than a Bernie Marsden or SE 245 that I've owned previously (and both of those were good guitars also). I'm playing either through a Fender Mustang II or III amp. No hum, very nice cleans on the neck p'up and the bridge can handle some gain. HB's are brighter than most SE guitars. Both the bass and treble are articulate and sound good. What kind of sounds can the guitar make? What kind of question is that? It sounds like an electric guitar!

No flaws. I set up my own guitars including truss rod, nut work, intonation, action and pickup height. I've had this one for several months and I don't recall having to put much effort into this one. It was very playable with a new set of 10-46's. It doesn't look like I even had to file the nut to accept 10-46's.

I'd call this guitar a workhorse. It's a PRS and of good quality! I've never owned a crappy PRS... they're all pretty good. So yeah I think it's dependable. Would I gig it without a backup? Not if I could help it...with any guitar. What can go wrong usually will especially if you're not prepared.

I've been playing about 3.5 years and have owned enough guitars to know a good one... this is a good one! Super simple, it feels good, sounds great and so light it's like having nothing at all hanging on your neck! They don't make them new anymore, but there seem to be always a few for sale used. For me, this is a keeper!