SE Standard review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Standard

Purchased from: Elderly.com

Well this guitar seems like one of the better SE's avaible I'm sorry I was never a fan of the current Santana SE (post pickguard) nor the SE EG. But this guitar seems to have them beat obviously. I have a Marshall AVT and a DigiTech GNX2000, a Boss NT-2, Chromatic Tuner, Ph-2 and a DigiTech Death Metal distortion pedal. Due to the noise supressor its not noisy. Soundwise this guitar can go from Hoobastank to Underoath to Killswitch Engage and back to Miles Davis.

I've been playing guitar now for 6 years and hell I'm lucky enough that my band is signed. My band so far sounds like a mix of Incubus and Underoath which would probably equal something like Lost Prophets. So yea it does suit my style. So I would like to think I know a good guitar when I hear one. This is definitely one. I own a white Tremonti SE, SE Soapbar II, and a Santana SE (pre-pickguard). And this one is definitely a cool buy. I love the unique finish and even though I like Dan from Hoobastank I think this guitar will attract more people because yea it does look like his custom but it does not bear his name. If this guitar was stolen I'd probably buy another one in a heartbeat. So overall a great guitar from PRS so far the SE line has not dropped the ball and this is no exception.

I haven't tested this guitar yet in a live situation and proabably wont until I got back out on the road in late August. But I'm willing to bet this thing will withstand any live playing. The hardware and the finish looks like it can take a good 10 or 20 year beating. If I was forced to I would gig without a back but since I play in 4 different tunings it would not be wise.

The guitar came set-up perfectly no adjustment needed. The pickups didn't even need to be adjusted. This guitar had no flaw as far as the eye can see.

Solid basswood double cutaway body (top horn slightly longer than the bottom), cool camoflage finish, 22 fret mahogany neck w/rosewood fretboard, wide-fat like neck carve, abalone moon inlays, no pickguard, 2 humbucking pickups, 1 volume and 1 tone control, 3-way toggle Switch, PRS style stoptail.

FireHawk
    I have played this guitar and I like it...but I bought the PRS SE Custom but I like the whole SE line