SE Torero review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Torero

Price paid: C$ 1000

Purchased from: Local Store

I use this through a Line6 and thrash out playing some in flames, amon amarth, some disturbed, Bullet For My Valentine. HUGE range of sound, I mean this is a PRS, you know its freakin quality and its gotta sound sick.

I play a lot of metal and these pick ups are obviously a good match for that, if you disagree, tell that to zakk wylde.. I've been playing 2 years so flame me all you want about how I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but take a note on this. If I'm going to spend 1000 bucks on a guitar, you better believe I damn well researched this and tried out a whole bunch before I picked it. I compared it to Ibanez's XPT700 Xiphos, and to Jackson Warrior WRMG (with the emg's) and there's no comparison, PRS hands down.

I haven't played this live at all, button straps work nicely, I don't see how it would be a problem at all, and I bet I would be able to use this without a back up... If I wanted to play in the same tuning that is... Otherwise I'd need a different guitar. Not real flexible in terms of tuning all over the place. Best stick with one, its a floating tremolo remember so if you drop tune or up tune it, your gonna but some unwanted tension and youl get out of tune a lot, who knows, I wouldn't try it anyhow... Maybe drop the 6th string a step but that's it.

Action was pretty well set up out of the factory. Came tuned in E Standard and I play mostly in C standard, Drop C things like that so I had it set with a lower action, threw on some slinkies and set it to c Standard and its beautiful. Absolutely no flaws on this instrument at all, great over quality with a fantastic Black cherry finish.

This guitar just came out brand new baby. Looks and feels amazing and you bet it plays that way too. 24 frets on an EBONY fretboard, Neck thru design Mahogany body with REAL Floyd Rose, floating tremolo. Some real nice active EMG81 and EMG85's in this baby, 3 way selector, 2 nobs 1 volume one tone, PRS designed tuners. I should point out the backwood is mahogany and with maple veneer on top, Neck wood is also maple with an Ebony top. Strat style cut with their own PRS twist on it, real easy to reach the 24th fret, and it came with a nice PRS gig bag. Play metal and shred in style with this guitar, for 1000 bones my god, blows most things that price out of the water. This thing was made to play metal of any type.

xicetraex
    The^Unforgiven
    Mikael Akerfelt custom, hurrdurr. Anyway:
    I use this through a Line6
    Made this entire thing lame.
    Mr_CiNiC
    Thrall wrote: "This is a PRS, you know its freakin quality and its gotta sound sick." I take issue with this statement. I just installed new pickups in a friend's PRS Tremonti SE and after playing both before and after the modification, I'm quite certain that it's below even Squire quality. Absolutely shoddy design and build quality. Just saying.
    ... [Facepalm] Dude, I play ESP, and I don't even really like PRS that much, but for God's sake... Don't try to make some of the most finely crafted guitars for metal out there today sound like they have "shoddy quality". Seriously, man.
    Goldenfire88
    CptRevell
    celticstorm84
    Awesome guitar. This is something I'll have to look for. I had no idea PRS made guitars like this one. Seems great for the price.
    Seref
    CptRevell
    ratlr wrote: CptRevell wrote: xicetraex wrote: Beautiful guitar, mediocre review. I don't want to be a "zomg yew used a line6" fag, but if you're going to drop $1000 on a guitar, I'd suggest getting a better amp. And I highly doubt you shred well after playing for 2 years. Just sayin'. Typically I would agree with you on the 2 years part, but I had a friend who was a monster on guitar, and had only been playing 2 years. Granted, he practiced at least 2-3 hours a day for 2 years. Sick guitar, as expected from PRS, but two notes for you. When you write a review, please, for the love of a mother, spellcheck it. And two, never put tickets on yourself. You automatically discredit whatever you say.
    I didn't write this mate.
    AngryGoldfish
    Oh God not this crap again... ... you don't buy a guitar to simply sound great. You buy it to feel great, playing it happily because it plays well, feels well and is well. Give the guy a break. Maybe he is quite contented with his Line 6. Don't make assumptions about him or his playing.
    EpiExplorer
    SexualFavors wrote: I was the reviewer of this guitar.. i didnt make an account until just now. I appreciate all your comments though...was rather quick coming. To address everyone commenting on the amp i use i dont see why, its not like i didnt try it out on sick amps at the store. Regardless of this fact, its exactly how AngryGoldfish put it --> it feels incredible and i just have no further words to describe it fine i played it at home out of a shitty amp. who cares, it plays amazing. I reviewed the guitar not my freaking amp.
    That may be the case, but your amp has as much to do with the sound as the guitar. If its through a bad amp, then we're obviously gonna be skeptical and think low of it.
    Megadeaf
    Seref wrote: Considering that you shelled out 1 Grand on this guitar, I'm praying that the "Line6" wasn't a Spider.
    Even their tube amps suck. My little 15W SS Crate sounds WAY better than those things. And my Crate doesn't sound very good.
    kmal415
    EpiExplorer wrote: Mikael Akerfelt custom, hurrdurr.
    guitargod1965
    how could you despise this guitar...such strong language, did it cheat on you or something?
    RaziBoy
    If it sounds good through a line 6, you can bet this thing is a beast.
    qzq
    I'm not a shredder, more of a prog guy. And I don't even USE an amp (All studio direct stuff with software)-This guitar is a living dream. My first PRS (yes I know it's not a 'real' PRS)-having played "real" Parkers for awhile. The fit and finish of this axe is beyond the pricepoint, and it plays like butter. The tiniest, tiniest bit of play in the FR is the only pimple, but then again I'm accustomed to my Top-Of-The-Line Parker. This Torero is a beastly joint, inspiring to play. Get one NOW!
    guitargod1965
    Hello all...I picked up a Torero and it is freaking amazing. I have an Allender as well so I am fond of prs but this, this guitar is absolutely fantastic. Tone and playability are amongst the best I have ever experienced. I have a musicman petrucci and I am not kidding when I say that this guitar kills it.. The price of these is going to climb, so try one and buy one before the price goes silly.. Peace and godbless
    Lars_Page
    Goldenfire88 wrote: The reason you buy a PRS is for their NATURAL tone. not the tone of an EMG. That's why I despise this guitar. And I hate active pickups
    That's why so much natural tone can be heard in your recordings? Don't get me wrong, I'll be changing mine out for Duncans but christ dude - you don't need to sound like such a knob on a webpage.
    WhiteTempest
    mashizz wrote: this guitar reminds an awful lot of the schecter hellraisers. haven't played it though, so really can't compare here
    tried both.. let me say that the prs is a notch higher quality.. i sind the feel of it to be smoother and tone is also way different
    Thrall
    WhiteTempest
    MrGuitarGuy01 wrote: Thanks for bringing this guitar into the light for me. I never knew PRS made guitars with Floyds on them. Tis a nice guitar.
    its actually new to prs...
    tristan_deity
    SexualFavors wrote: Epi, i said i tried it out in the store. I'm talking peaveys and marshals in sound proofed rooms. Theres no way i would plug it into a line6 AT the store before i bought it...simply saying this is what i have at home currently.
    Peaveys and Marshals suck lol, most overrated amps on the planet. Ive been playing for 8 years, i play through a Soldano SLO 100 with a 4x12 cab and i use Gibsons and ESPs. I love PRS guitars but im not going to trust a 2year player who uses a Line6, weathered players all get over all those flashing coloured light Line6 and Ashton'ish crappy modeling amps.
    celticstorm84
    Wouldn't get worked up about it all, like you said you reviewed the guitar, not the amp. You'll find lots of band wagons around here and it's always the pot calling the kettle black. Nothing wrong with what you did.
    La_Deux_Machina
    ratlr
    Megadeaf
    I've been playing for only about 3 months, self taught, and i can say, It's all about practice. I practice 3-4 hours a day. more on the weekends. All my friends that can play are dumbfounded that I'm playing as well as I am. Practice, practice, practice. Maybe it helps that I was a guitar tech for a little while.
    SexualFavors
    La_Deux_Machina wrote: I find it so very stupid how people thrash line 6. If you guys don't like it then WHO GIVES?? Its your opinion...and I would take my vetta....or my SPIDER (OMFG WHAT???!) Over your crap anyday. I can't believe that the first comment on this review had to do with him mentioning line 6. Wow. This is a freaking review for a guitar. I wish I could kick everyone in the ass. Point is, is that I can play what your playing...on my amps...and I can get the sounds I want...and that I desire so I'm happy. I own a vetta hd, flextone hd, and a line 6 spider iii hd150. All line 6...and I have no problems....everyone is stupid.
    Thank you. someone's on my side...
    Demonikk
    Terrible review, but a decent guitar. I had loan of one of these the other week so I had a chance to run it through my 6505+ and 333xl and a Jazz Chorus 60 for a while. It's fantastic aesthetically and plays very nicely too, but it's just got no character of it's own, it sounds very similar to an ESP or LTD Eclipse or just about any other mahogany/EMG combo. Other PRS models are easily capable of metal so I'm not sure why they bothered bringing this one out, there's nothing new except the Floyd, neck thru and stock EMGs, none of which are really anything to get wet about. All the while I was playing it I had this feeling that it was trying to be an Ibanez, the neck has a slightly flatter profile than other PRS'. Not worth the current price tag, would be a nice buy at maybe two thirds of what it costs though
    EpiExplorer
    halfj06 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: The^Unforgiven wrote: Wow, the guitar looks awesome. Didn't know that PRS makes metal-oriented guitars like this with EMG's and FR tremolos. I guess I'll have to check it out sometime... Mikael Akerfelt custom, hurrdurr. Anyway: I use this through a Line6 Made this entire thing lame. not every line 6 is a spider. Check out the flextones and vetta's.. hell trent reznor has taken his line 6 vetta III much much farther then you guys have taken your precious tube amps
    I use a 200 fender solid state with one of the least-liked distortion pedals on the planet. But even so, its a million miles better than some monotoned practise amp.
    sewoo55
    hmm.... a PRS guitar with a floyd rose instead of a standard tremolo. i dunno why, but for some reason i don't really like the fact that PRS made this guitar. EMG pickups? what happened to those articulate passive pickups with quality distortion and character? EMG pickups are gonna make this sound like any other guitar out there
    halfj06
    mashizz
    MrGuitarGuy01
    doive
    good 24th fret access? i thought PRS were famed for having dire access?
    Seref
    doive wrote: good 24th fret access? i thought PRS were famed for having dire access?
    They're famed for having ungodly huge neck heels. The way they contour their lower cutaways can make for more comfortable upper-fret access, but it's the heels that have always been a problem.
    6_stringHighway
    My Goodness.. This is a review for a guitar not an amp.. and if this guitar SOUNDS good into (in ur opinions crappy amp) a line6 amp.. Imagine how would it sound in a boutique amp and to those with talented fingers... if your sound sucks in a line6 amp!!! it is more probably more into your fingers fault.
    Flaming Chaos
    kmal415 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Mikael Akerfelt custom, hurrdurr. I was wondering about this one... It could turn out very nicely. I'd be all over it if it weren't for that damned logo sticking out like a sore thumb behind the bridge. :/
    agreed, i love opeth but that logo kills it a bit for me
    Slovak_Ghost
    Ha...try playing a with a floating trem and drop the 6th string a full step, it will put everything completely out of tune...I mean if you intend on moving from a standard tuning to a drop tuning with a FR either a. block the trem b. get a tremol-no and set it to dive only c. get a d tuna system
    KoGg3
    Ah, cmon man, the Opeth "O" has to be the most beautiful symbol that a band has ever used. That said, I would have two problems with that logo on my guitar: a) By blatantly displaying that you have a Mikael Akerfeldt guitar, you a drawing a comparison between yourself and him. And everyone comes off worse when compared to Mikael "OIS-HE-GOD?!" Akerfeldt. b)I like nice clean aesthetics, but I guess that's a personal thing.