SE Zach Myers Signature Review

manufacturer: Paul Reed Smith date: 10/28/2015 category: Electric Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: SE Zach Myers Signature
This Shinedown's Zach Myers signature guitar is versatile and will happily suit blues, rock or just about anything you throw at it.
 8.8

• Left-/Right-handed: Right-handed
  • Number of Strings: 6
  • Body Material: Mahogany
  • Top Material: Maple
  • Color: Trampas Green (stunning)
  • Neck Material: Mahogany
  • Number of Pickups: 2
  • Neck Pickup: PRS SE 245 Bass
  • Bridge Pickup: PRS SE 245 Treble
  • Controls: 2 x volume, 2 x tone, 3-way pickup selector
  • Case Included: Gig bag (Nice quality Padded PRS bag)
// 10

Sound: Fantastic sound with a sustain to die for - neck pickup full soft tones, Ideal for blues (and probably jazz but that's not my thing!) Bridge pick up hot and powerful ideal for leads or great chunky chords. Both pickups will clean up nicely if rolled off when played with lots of gain. The middle position gives a great mixed tone making this a very versatile sounding guitar. I play with an orange micro terror into a home made Celestion Vintage 30 cabinet and tend to use a Zendrive clone for mild overdrive/distortion when needed. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Perfect set up - I didn't need to change anything right from the shop, lovely low action, absolutely beautiful looking guitar. The unfinished neck is so easy to play, I was surprised that this is a wide fat neck which I have always avoided previously as I have short fingers, but somehow this just feels "right." The body is chambered and therefore very light and comfortable to have hanging round your neck. The short scale length seems to make it feel much easier to play - bends are a dream on this. // 10

Reliability & Durability: All appears to be finished to a very high degree and I'm sure will last well, I will gig with it without hesitation although I would always have a backup (if I could afford another I would just have two of these as they are close to perfect). Strap buttons are solid and well positioned, tuners are solid and tuning holds well, Lacquer looks thick and smoothly applied. Gig Bag is very well padded and would protect the guitar well in transit, All tuners and switches feel good and the socket has a good positive connection. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for over forty years encompassing many styles of music particularly blues, blues/rock, rock 'n' roll. This guitar is versatile and will happily suit blues, rock or just about anything you throw at it. I spent a lot of time trying guitars from the two big manufacturers, and for my taste, despite costing less than half compared to some that I tried this is way better in terms of playability and finish. I will still return to my other guitars occasionally but this will be my main "goto" one from now on. So impressed by the PRS brand that I will be checking out some of their other models in the future. I would replace if stolen. My other guitars are a Hofner Colorama (P90) a Cort Source (335 type) a 1980s MIJ Hohner Strat copy and a Wesley Jasper travel guitar. This PRS is so good I've given it all tens! // 10

Comments