Singlecut review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: Singlecut

Purchased from: Willcutt Guitar Shoppe

Absolutely amazing sound. I've played every kind of Les Paul, and PRS Singlecuts are FAR superior. I'm really into playing metal of all kinds and this guitar is more than perfect. Not very good "metal styling", but the sound makes up for it. I don't use any effects really, only clean and distortion mostly. Absolutely crushing distortion, even on my practice amp (Kustom 25-watt), excellent clean as well. Plenty of sound variety, especially with the push-pull coil tap. Awesome humbucker sounds, "Vintage" sounds, with coil tap on has Strat-like sound, gives it a more quiet edge. All PRS guitars are very "LOUD" guitars, so if you're getting one make sure it has a coil tap.

I love this guitar more than anything I've ever owned. I have no complaints at all. If anything would ever happen to it, I would undoubtedly lose sleep over it and cry in front of other men. I've had a Gibson Custom Shop SG, a few Ibanez's and Epiphone Les Paul's, and a Custom Shop Fender Strat (still own it), and nothing compares to my PRS. It's a very personal guitar and fits my every need. To be honest, this guitar is truly a work of art. It's inlay are absolutely stunning, and it's flamed maple 10-top is drop-dead gorgeous. Also has a beautiful Brazillian Rosewood fretboard and silver fret-bars. Inlaid Gold "Paul Reed Smith" signature on headstock, and ebony trussrod cover with silver purfling and inlaid silver "20th" in the middle of it. It was worth my every penny.

Extremely durable, much lighter than a Les Paul, top-of-the-line hardware, most solid strap buttons I've ever seen on a guitar. Most dependable guitar I've ever owned, most impressive gig-guitar I've owned (many complements from other guitarists on the sound and looks). Very good finish. The picture on the website didn't do the guitar justice.

All I can say is that the guitar was set up perfectly, and I ordered it offline instead of from a dealer, and there were no set-up errors whatsoever.

PRS 20th Anniversary Singlecut w/ tremolo, gray black. Made year 2006 in the USA. 22 fret neck, Rosewood fretboard, wide-fat neck carve, abalone "Birds In Flight" inlay w/ "brown" abalone wisps. Mahogany neck and body, flamed maple "10 Top". Gray Black Finish. Single-cutaway body. PRS Tremolo tailpiece. Passive electronics. one volume and one tone control, 3 way pickup Switch, push-pull tone coil tap, H/H pickup configuration. Schaller 14:1 low-mass locking tuners. Includes hardcase and all case goodies.

TastyMooglePie
    kfong03 wrote: just get an epi L.P., cheaper and probably similar quality.
    hahahahahahahaha sorry, that made me laugh for a bit there.
    zippyfloon92
    hey kfong did u just compare an epi to a prs? wow. u shouldnt b allowed to play guitar.seriously thats sick and wrong. i dont let my epi es-335 in the same room as my prs single.
    rock4christ
    yeah i have a singlecut and i paid $3500!!!!!thats alot of money for a fourteen year old!!!
    lvad48
    kfong03 wrote: just get an epi L.P., cheaper and probably similar quality.
    Probably is a polite word for not i have a Gibson LP custom and i still envy my mates standard 22
    tom_martin_123
    kfong03 wrote: just get an epi L.P., cheaper and probably similar quality.
    wtf?!?!?!?!!?!? not even remotely similar quality. PRS takes on Gibson and in the opinion of many people wins. Epi is cheaper for a reason.
    hendrixx0046
    holy sh*t i cant believe i ever posted playing out of that pathetic amp...im rocking the JsX cab and head now...definately an upgrade
    duhdewd
    I have a 2002 Singlecut with the stoptail, it comes with different pickups than the tremelo version. It is by far the nicest guitar I've owned to date (I would like to get my hands on a Warrior one of these days). The tone is monstrous and the quality of manufacture is outstanding. The only downside is these pickups (PRS #7's) aren't tappable so I had to buy a Strat to get my single coil fix.
    mattgab1
    Moot is correct. This is taken from PRS's website: "25" scale length mahogany 22-fret neck with rosewood fretboard and dot inlays."
    mattgab1
    rambo666777 wrote: seriously, rock4christ, ur a mug.
    I might agree, but only in respect to his moniker.
    Flying Couch
    rambo666777 wrote: seriously, rock4christ, ur a mug. unless ur insane at guitar, paying 3500 smaclers at that age is idiotic. how long have u been playing?
    I had only been playing two years when I got mine for $2200. Don't judge - he can have whatever he can afford. Granted, I'm trying to get rid of mine. But whatev.
    rambo666777
    KenG
    kfong03 wrote: just get an epi L.P., cheaper and probably similar quality.
    I think you're confusing Korean models with the American SingleCut! The EPI could only hope to stand up against an "SE".
    Vomitorator
    i have the custom 24 and my bud has the singlecut and i think the pickups sound kickass! gibson just got f'ed in the A
    _TheWorst
    Hmm, PRS is always top tier. You just need the money for one of these damn things
    Moot
    Hendrixx0046 is incorrect on the scale length of the Singlecut. It's a 25" scale guitar like most of PRS's (with the exceptions being the really expensive Santana model, at 24.5"; and the 513 at 25 1/4") Just FYI.
    RockMusicFan
    The singlecut production was at pause because of that, but PRS won the case against Gibson, so now they make them again.
    deportivo
    I thouht PRS discontinued the single cuts because Gibson sued them? am i wrong?