Tremonti SE review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: Tremonti SE

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I play mostly classic rock, but sometimes I rip some death metal. It fits both styles perfectly. I play it with an older version of a Fender Princeton Chorus amp. I run it through a Boss GT-6 for all my effects. It doesn't give any annoying buzz or cut off like my Strat does. The treble pick-up just plain rocks; I use that mostly. The neck pick-up is a little too deep for me. It has a great clean sound and a crunch that's just as good. With the toggle Switch in the front and middle positions it gives a nice warm, deep sound. In the back/treble position it's a little twangy but doesn't ruin the sound, unlike my Strat. The Strat is just a piece of shit as you can tell. When distorted, it can either be deep or high; whatever floats your boat.

As I said before, this guitar is a good match for the music I play. I've been playing for about 5-7 years (I can't remember when I first picked up a guitar). I also own a Strat that I tend to complain about a lot, a Danelectro (don't know what model, was my first guitar), an old Telecaster and Fender elec/acoustic, both bought at yardsales for very nice deals, a Peavey Envoy 110 amp, and a Bradley bass that I don't play much. I would never lose a guitar, only a true idiot could lose a guitar, but if it were stolen first I'd cry. Then I'd look at getting another or a Gibson; but I love this guitar so much that I'd get another one. The only thing I wish was different was that it looked like a Vampire, I think B\.C\. Rich makes 'em. Those things kick ass. The toggle Switch was the only flaw that came with it. Other than that, this is a great guitar.

I've played live with this guitar a few times, once along with my *cough* Strat *cough* cause I was into punk. At that show I forgot my stand so I set the PRS in a chair. Halfway through it fell out of the chair, but regardless I had to use it for a few songs and it didn't go out of tune and it sounded great. All my guitar's have taken a beating. This one's been dropped, slammed into a wall countless times (though in it's bag), and like I said, fell out of a chair. My Strat was dropped once by a friend and it sounds like shit now. It used to be awesome. Strap buttons are good, never loose. The Tremonti is a very dependable guitar. It sounds great and almost never goes out of tune. I would never do a gig without a backup but if I didn't have one this guitar would do just fine.

The guitar was set up fine at the factory and was perfect when I got it. Or so I thought. The toggle Switch only made two sounds instead of three, but that was fixed with ease for only 10 bucks. The pick-ups were fine, but i raised both a little bit just to make it louder. I like noise =). The only flaw the guitar had was the toggle Switch and the input kept coming loose but a good tightening with needlenose pliers fixed that right up.

This guitar was made in 2000 I think; in Korea. Don't really understand that since the factory's in the US. 22 frets, 2 volume and 2 tone controls, two humbuckers at the neck and bridge position; I think they're Tremonti II's. Not too sure about the woods. I know for a fact the fingerboard is rosewood, I think the body is either maple or mahogany. Finish is satin. Body is LP style, locking tuners, PRS bridge, came with a gig bag.