Tremonti SE review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: Tremonti SE

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

This guitar has a very warm, brown sound, very suited to hard rock and metal. Personally, I think it sounds best through a Mesa/Boogie Dual-Rec or a Recto-verb, as the rectified high gain goes very with the guitars soul sound. I like to use Morley Wah, Octaver (Boston Freak), and a DigiTech Whammy 2. Unfortunatle, the guitar only comes with a stopbridge, so no whammy bar is avalible. The guitar also has a slight brightness in the screashing solos, due to the maple binding.

I play rock, metal, soft rock, everything from blues to classical. I have multiple guitars, so I use this guitar mostly for my rock, metal and hard rock. I have been playing for a few years, I own a crappy amp, soon to be upgraded to a Mesa so the days of the preamp and PA are over. I wish I had of asked how to use the dam locking tuners before I bought it! They are the best things in the world. Once you figure them out! If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't buy another one, cause I would kill myself. My favourite feature, is it's sound and physically, the patented PRS bird inlays, and the Mark Tremonti inlay on the 12th fret. That was a mush then PRS shopping. No more moons. Comparing this product to a Les Paul, as many do, is like comparing California oranges, to Flordia oranges. They are both great, it's simply your preference. I happen to like PRS's and Boogies over Les Pauls and Marshalls, just because I can, not because one is better than the other. Not to say that the products necessarily go hand in hand, but commonly they do.

The guitar, is black. What can I say, it collects dust and finger prints and scratches inevetibly. I have played live with it before, and it is very reliable. Heavy (about the weight of a Les Paul Standard) but playes very nicely. The strap buttons are very solid, never a thought of slipage. I would definately play at a gig without a backup, but it's good to be prepaired. The finish seem like it is going to last, but I've only had it for about 4 months, so it's hard to tell. I actully played live with it the day after I bought it, only playing for maybe 10 mins at the dealer with no amp in my hotel room. Thats how much I trust it's durribility.

This guitar was set up perfectly from the factory, perfect truss, locking tuners in order, little adjustment needed, I had to raise the low end of the bridge slightly, but that is my personal preference to have higher action on the lower strings. My main complaint was the guitar had a small chip in the back just on the edge, but it was a dealer flaw, not a manufactural flaw. But overall very, very nicely set up.

This model was made in 2002, and is a absolutly beautiful guitar. It is specifically designed to Creeds (& Alter Bridge's) Mark Tremonti's specifications. It is Mahogany body with Maple binding, mahogany neck, and indian rosewood fingerboard. It has 2 volume, 2 tone, and 3 way selecter swich, very similar to a Les Paul. It has Mark's custom designed pick-ups, and has the hottest, warmest piskups PRS offers. It has PRS locking tuners and comes with a PRS custom case and other things depending on the dealer. Avalible in black, and platinum. It also has patented PRS bird inlays and a Mark Tremonti inlay on the 12th fret.