Tremonti SE review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: Tremonti SE

Purchased from: eBay

I mainly use it for rock and metal, but its got a beautiful clean tone as well! It's very versatile and suits my styles well. I'm using Peavey XXL 2-12 amp and DigiTech GNX3 for FX. The SE just has a great sound, its my main guitar now, The tone is there from clean and warm to modern disto and the tremonti pickups just bring it out all the more. The guitar seems to have a distinct voice depending on the type of strings you use too. Now to be critical, theres some crackle in the vol pots that Ill have to fix. There is some feedback from the bridge pickup when in high gain but the Tremonti pickups are tightly wound too. Other than that its quiet, that's all I got.

The SE is a good match for me because of its quality tone, depth of its distortion and warm clean sound. I've palyed for 9 years, this guitar is light and fast to play. My favorite. I also own 535Q Wah, Digitech GNX 3, Peavey XXL amp. If it were lost/stolen I am positive I would go the distance to get another. I love the tone, the neck thru body, the single cutaway is awesome, my favorit feature is the wide speedy neck. The only thing I hate is the volume crackle BS. I only compared it to the other guitars I have (Gibson SG and ESP Hammet). This guitar is way different from either of these, but after I had played the PRS for a while I loved it, it has everything I need. Just awesome.

The guitar is solid, so is the hardware and strap buttons, I can depend on this anytime and would have it live but I would have a backup for a gig just because of the volume pots. The finish is just beautiful as long as its kept clean.

The action is low and geat for fast solos, I had the Tremonti PRS pickups installed by a pro, bridge and intonation is fine. The guitar is fine except theres a little crackle when turning the volumes, I'll have to get this fixed if not replaced that kinda sucked, but other than that its all good.

Made in 2003 in Korea, 22 frets. Neck thru, fat&fast neck w/low action. Mohogany, satin black finish, binding all around. Single cutaway. PRS bridge. I changed out the pickups for Tremonti PRS pickups (1 covered and 1 exposed) humbuckers but the SE pickups were OK. 2 tone, 2 vol. PRS tuners. Came with gig bag. Overall very cool, for the cash I paid this axe kicks ass.