Tremonti SE review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: Tremonti SE

Price paid: C$ 621

Purchased from: Matt's Music

The sound is great, I mostly play metal/hard rock and it suits my style perfectly. I tried out an Epiphone Les Paul, an Ibanez ART100 and a Mexican made Telecaster and none of them had the tone of the Tremonti. I play my Tremonti through a Line 6 Spider II 112 and a BOSS DS-1. The cleans are wonderful, it's a very rich/warm tone that none of the other three guitars had. Playing this on a distortion channel was quite an experience. It's got a great chunky tone that sounds especially great when palm muting.

I play metal/hardrock and it suits it perfectly. I've been playing for eight years and it's definitely a step up from the Squier I've been playing for years. It's something I'd definitely buy again if stolen. The things I love most about this guitar are the tone and the finish. I was a bit hesitant to buy it at first because from the pictures I've seen on various sites, the finish looked a lot brighter than it actually is. When I saw it in stores, I knew I had to have it. Like I mentioned early, I also tried an Epi Les Paul, a Fender Tele and an Ibanez ART100 and I chose the Tremonti SE because of the tone, the finish and the overall feel of the guitar. I wish it did have active pickups, but the stock passive's are great.

I don't play in a band or anything, but it definitely feels solid enough to play live. The hardware seems fine, except for the tuners and I'd probably replace the strap buttons with strap locks.

The guitar was set up great. No buzz, no scratches or other signs of wear. It's a bit heavy, not as heavy as a Les Paul, but it does weigh a bit and putting it on my knee while playing makes it kinda fall asleep, haha. The only problem I had with this was the tuners. They're not locking and they don't seem to hold the strings in tune very long. I plan to replace these with some locking ones, which I recommend because it does get a bit tedious trying to tune it.

This Tremonti SE I purchased was made in 2011. It's a singlecut with a Vintage cherry finish, a 25" scale, 22 frets, a wide fat neck, rosewood finger board and non locking tuners. It also has two volume, two tone and a 3 way toggle. It comes with your standard PRS pickups and it was sold to me with a gig bag included.

waltb87
    Fantastic guitar, won mine during an Alter Bridge concert after saving for it for like three years. Plays like a dream, such a great sound and a flow to the guitar. The guitar is flawless visually, there is nothing that I would change about the guitar at all. No matter if you want to play some rhythm or solo based, it is just great. It is hard for my to wrap my head around, especially after playing a Epiphone Les Paul for 8 years so it is a huge step up but well worth the price that everyone is asking for.