EVH Wolfgang Special review by Peavey

Peavey: EVH Wolfgang Special

Purchased from: Guitar Center (Used)

Since I am a Van Halen man, this guitar fits my preferences perfectly. Also, I play a little blues, and the guitar also suits that very well. I use a Line-6 Spider III amp with a Ibanez TS9 pedal (The amp, well, its as if the distortion is at 80% of what you want, so the pedal to me puts it up to 100%), When the guitar is on the bridge setting, it really gives that kickass tone. Also one thing unique about the Wolfgang is that it allows you to do things that you can't do on another guitar. Like you can make harmonics easier on this guitar then other ones. The neck pickup is perfectly for blues, but I don't recommend clean blues or jazz. This guitar doesn't seem to sound very well at the clean level on a amp. (Then again, my amp is solid-state, so don't count on that) If you really know how to fit yourself into a guitar and how to use one, this guitar will basically welcome you to it.

Since this is a Peavey/EVH Wolfgang, it obviously meets my standards. I have been playing for about 5 years and I own a Les Paul and a Ovation Acoustic. And to be honest, if you have questions about this guitar, just simply play it. It'll literally answer your questions. And for me I have none, it totally fits my standards. If I had lost this guitar or if were stolen, of course I would try to replace it. For one the price can be as low as 600 dollars from time to time, and it is a very great guitar for more then just Van Halen fans. What I love about this guitar is that I can do horse whinny harmonic on it, which I can't do on my other guitars. It has the kickass tone of a Les Paul, and it also allows you to be more creative with the Floyd Rose and the D-tuna (D-tunas do NOT come with the guitar, Mine just happened to).

Once again, the guitar is very solid. Everything is screwed in tightly, and everything is right where it should be. When it comes to how long it'll last, well, the guitar has been around for seven years already and it looks nearly Brand New. So in my opinion, yes it'll last for a very, very long time. The strap buttons are very solid, no problems there. This is a guitar that can VERY dependable, besides the fact it cannot make the best clean tone, it can fit a wide variety of tone for rock, blues, and sometimes metal. Also the finish is similar to that of a Les Paul, so I'd say that that will last a long time too.

This guitar is VERY sturdy, and the action is perfect to my standards. It is so low it nearly touches the frets. The bridge pickup was adjusted perfectly for my kind of tone (Early Van Halen tone) but like I said, the neck sounds very nice, but not the best pickup for a clean channel. The routing for the Floyd was done very well, and it looks professional, so no complaints from me. The only flaw for I'd say is that the whammy bar for the floyd is a little loose, and it sometimes makes the guitar noisy, but its nothing major.

My Wolfgang is a 2002 Peavey Wolfgang Special, and I think it has 22 jumbo frets. It has an all maple neck I think and by the sound of the tone the body is basswood. It has a Orange/Yellow quilt top finish and obviously it is a double cutaway. It came with a Peavey Floyd Rose (FR liscensed) and it has passive electronics. It has a 3-way selector on the upper cutaway and it only has one knob: the volume knob(I replaced the original one on mine with a MXR pedal knob for the EVH feel). When you Switch the 3-way selector up, it goes to the bridge pickup, mid is mid, and switched down is the neck pickup. I'm not really sure what kind of pickups are in the guitar, but I'm sure they are the Peavey/EVH manufactured ones. Also, I bought my Wolfgang used, so the bridge pickup might of been replaced (not sure). It has grover non-locking tuners (locking not needed with FR), and it came with a hard shell case. Very cool.