EVH Wolfgang Special review by Peavey

Peavey: EVH Wolfgang Special

Purchased from: ebay

Sound of the body wood is bright and solid not muddy compared to my other guitars with EMG's and or blackout this is a bright sounding guitar, tone control work is a nice addition over the other Peavey EVH model. It is a rock guitar for many reasons it's light and the EVH body shape is nice to stand up and play with comfort and the body weight is not on the heavy side, it has good sustain and I like the switch being in the Les Paul position. I mainly use VST plugins into the Computer with band and a Line 6 X3, Carvin 1000watt & 200 watt tube -> 4 Marshall cabs.

I've been playing 20+ years playing blues, jazz to metal well alot more of metal and this is a rock or metal guitar for sure (that is why I put blackout pickups on mine). But I could easily see a blues player enjoying this guitar with the right pickups. I have 20 guitars Plus many more over the years and this is definitely in the top group up there with my PRS, Les Paul, Strat etc. If lost I would be searching for another the very next day. Again the neck is truly what makes this an Great guitar to me. The "basic design" is part of it's charm it's like the designers went since the neck is this good why bother doing anything else. That missing pull back behind the floyd rose has me asking "Why didn't they do that?".

Solid well built guitar I can not Imagen any problems? Good well made hardware, solid design, no frills solid guitar that I have had for 2 years and can not see any issues with it in the future. The tuners and good no need to replace and the Floyd rose tremolo is of a high standard to solid well built. The wired also is well done lots of shielding thought the internals. So no hum's and unwanted noise. I installed DiMarzio strap so no comment on strap buttons. The paint on mine is basic black but looks good.

The neck it what makes this guitar very special the "Wolfgang" shape is legendary, it has that feeling of a very well worn in neck very comfortable (even Warmoth now has this shape as an option for customs necks) for chords or lead it's great the action is low the neck is by far the main thing that makes this guitar special Move on from the neck, it's really a pretty standard Basic guitar I would even use the word "budget" it's no frills no fancy design. Just body pickup neck as you look down at it it's not a PRS or Les Paul it's straight body bolted onto neck simple,. ( what more do you want?) Rating this I will give it a 10 for the neck and action (important). Build and finish a 7 because it's missing a pull back cavity behide the floyd rose. 9 for the final because how it plays I think is most important.

Made is a black USA made with "Wolfgang" neck profile, Unfinished maple neck and fret board, Double locking floyd rose tremolo 1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way Switch, Schaller tuners, D-Tuna Drop D device. I got mine second hand from eBay with EMG pickups, I replaced the 81 with a blackout pickup in the bridge cause this guitar just screams "play solos". One noticeable missing feature is pull back space behind the floyd rose rose,. There like only haft a step specially with the Drop D device.? I really am thinking of routing out more space so I can really pull back on it. This guitar will makes you want to play with the tremolo.