Generation EXP review by Peavey

Peavey: Generation EXP

Purchased from: Sound Control - London

A very versatile instrument. I have a Gibson Les Paul Classic, a Gibson LP faded double-cut and a Fender Strat and I reckon this toy can cover a range of styles from blues, jazz, funk, rock, metal, country and more.

For value for money, this is incredible. It plays and sounds 80% to 90% as good as my Gibsons and Fender but at a fraction of the price. I play mainly blues and rock and like a bit of jazzy stuff thrown in, this guitar is actually perfect for all of that. It can do grunge, clear ringing tone, soft, liquid jazz and is a really lovely instrument to play. I've had it for 1 week now (bought Jan 14th 2006) and can't find anything wrong with it. Value for money is incredible, I wanted something really cheap as (another) backup guitar and this is miles better than its price would suggest.

Haven't played it live yet, just in the house (through a new Peavy Delta Blues 30 watt valve amp) and it sounds the DBs. I guess the bridge plate might rust with time, difficult to tell. The plastic knob on the end of the pickup selector Switch is loose, the guitar I bought had that bit missing so I pulled the part of another one hanging beside it on the wall! Just needs a bit of glue I guess. It feels a real solid guitar so should stand up to knocks and bumps ok.

A very playable guitar. The action is just dead right. The neck is a bit sticky having no coating on it but that may well change as it ages.

Brand spanking new piece of kit, 3 pickups: 1 humbucker at the bridge plus 2 single-coils middle and neck positions. Mine is blue, cool colour and looks great. Rosewood neck. Doesn't come with anything which is a shame, don't know where you'd get a hard case that fits it, if anyone knows let me know.

dave344
    Come on... Did they test this guitar before commercializing it. On a marshall valvestate amp it sounds horrible. The mid pickup is sloppy and combining the neck and middle pick ups gives a horrible clangy sound. The piezos are a not very sensitive and sound very nasal, like a muffled semi hollow body.