Generation EXP review by Peavey

Peavey: Generation EXP

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

This guitar is wonderfully versatile and simple thanks to the s/s/h configuration and five-way switching. Rolling off the humbucker gives a deep, warm, rounded jazz tone that allows the tremolo of my Acoustic 150 to Shine. Of course the single coils brighten things up a bit without being too brash and the humbucker is capable of some hard crunch and distortion through my Vox Pathfinder. These pick-ups are strong but subtle, very well-rounded but they allow your playing to show through without overpowering. An excellent combination for a beginner or a seasoned pro Who wants tonal variety not over-the-top performance. Surprisingly good in a guitar this cheap!

This guitar was a complete surprise to me. I went into the shop just to check things out, not intending to buy anything. I hadn't played a Peavey in a while and this was in a stand on the showroom floor in front of me. I picked it up fully expecting to return it a second later, but I ended up walking out the door with it! I have been playing for 30 years. I have owned and played many guitars over that time. This one stands out on it's simplicity and versatility. It's a great all-around guitar at a CHEAP price! It might not have the "best" sounding pickups but you won't find better for this price. I love the whole set-up, string through body, no tremolo/vibrato, s/s/h configuration, two control knobs, 5-way switch, it all makes for a simple, effective, no-fuss, no glam guitar. I probably wouldn't get another one if this was stolen because I've already got way too many guitars, but if I had found this one first I might not have as many.

Everything seems solid and dependable with this guitar. I expect all the hardware to last as I don't abuse my instruments. This would be an excellent choice to gig with without a back-up. No tremolo/vibrato to break strings with, easily re-strung if you do, a variety of sounds available with the simple h/s/s configuration, inexpensive if it gets stolen, broken, spilt on whatever. The finish might be a little thin but it'll still take many years of playing to wear it out and that should only add character anyway.

This guitar was very nicely set-up when I picked it up. Knowing the music store, I'm sure it came from the factory this way. The salespeople don't seem too keen on perfecting set-ups on the display floor. I made some very minor adjustments for height and intonation, but only for my personal preference. The only thing wrong I could find with this guitar is a small chip in the finish on the bottom side by the output socket, nothing else! The frets and nut are perfectly finished. Two strings trees avoid any ringing. Tuners, knobs and Switch all work smoothly. I made a mistake by trying to remove the adhesive from the neck plate with kitchen scrubber that was too abrasive. Now it's dulled a bit with surface scratches but that's clearly my own fault.

This guitar is a tele-shaped, American made guitar with s/s/h configuration, a five-way Switch, one tone and one volume control. There is no piezo pick-up on this model. There is on the "pro" model (similarly named but I don't know exactly). Very simple, very effective with a one-piece maple neck with truss rod and a rosewood fingerboard with 21 medium (almost large to me) frets. Mine is a nice Candy Apple Red which is actually subtler than you would think. It has a string-through design, and individual saddles adjustable for height and intonation on a nicely designed bridge/tailpiece plate. The individual tuners are sealed and non-locking.

djmonnette
    I have the Sunburst Peavey Generation Custom EXP ACM As good or better then most Gibsons and Fenders I have owned or played.Sound is amazing and neck is one of best next to a Fender TC-90 neck.With the PAF in neck position-single coil in middle-and Humbucker in bridge.Great for Classic Rock-Blues,Country-Acoustic Folk,or just about any tone or sound you would ever want or need.
    yoshima
    Got the Custom EXP ACM model..... really versatile instrument..... can get so many different sounds from it....