Generation EXP review by Peavey

Peavey: Generation EXP

Purchased from: A friend

I use this guitar mainly for clean songs. It sounds brilliantly clear and crisp, especially if you blend the piezo well with the Standard pick-ups. There's so many options when it comes to the clean channel! I mean, you got your 5 way pick-up selector (which gains something near to a Strat sound with some success), your tone and then your piezo. Blending all these features well enough, you can get near any sound you like! It sounds truely beautiful with a chorus effect on it. I do feel that the guitar isn't built for overdrive though. I've tried it on overdrive before now, and it usually doesn't sound right. I've compared it the overdrive sound of my Vintage TC200B, and there's no competition.

Personally, I love the guitar. I think it's great. In my band, we do songs like Oh! Darlin (The Beatles), Take Me To The River (Al Green) and Back To Black/Black and Gold (Amy Winehouse/Sam Sparro), and the guitar is really suited to it. Again, like I said, I've tried it out on our more over-driven songs, like Message In A Bottle (The Police) and Proud Mary (CCR/Tina Turner) - it just doesn't sound right. It sounds weak. If you want it for clean songs, it's a great thing to have in your arsenal.

It feels quite flimsy in the way it's built - the input crackles, the strap buttons are loose, for example... Maybe that's to do with it being second hand, but it's something to take into consideration. I'm not sure it'd last you forever, but how should I know? I'm not going to live that long.

My guitar is glitter-gold-painted, with a black scratchplate and black binding (white edge on the S-plate). The previous owner, actually my college tutor, had already had the action and pick-ups set up. Despite this, the action etc. needs little up-keep. The hardware/chrome seems to be holding out well. It's not rusted or fallen apart in any way as of yet - and I've had it for about half a year now.

Mine is a fairly new model, I think. The guitar is not marked with a date or place-of-build though. It features three pickups (two single coil and a humbucker on the bridge), a five-way pickup selector, tone and volume knobs, and a piezo. The bridge is a Fishman bridge, which seems quite durable and reliable - though it's not a whammy bridge. The guitar itself is built to look and feel like a Telecaster - the machineheads are alike to those found on a Tele too. The Peavey requires a battery, which fits into the back, making it an active guitar (don't leave it plugged in overnight! I've made that mistake before now - it wears the battery down fast).