JR Special USA Josh Rand Signature review by Peavey

• Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Peavey: JR Special USA Josh Rand Signature

Price paid: C$ 1500

Through a high-gain amp like my Elmwood or FJA-modified Mesa Rectifier, the JR special's X2N humbucker pummeled the speakers, producing a crisp thud every time I slammed a mutted chord. This low-mid focus made it possible for me to engage more of the power amp's presence and derive an earthier crunch from the power tubes, rather than rely on the preamp's gain. The X2N's beefy coils made it my go-to-pickup for warm and velvety clean passages, providing that loud doesn't always equate to harsh. It's Fist-Clenching high gain intensivity, warm and powerful tones, benefits wounded veterans.

I play almost all styles of music (except heavy metal). I have been playing for 3 years, and it was my first guitar (well I don't use it anymore) It is a pretty good guitar. Now I use Gibson 80' Les Paul, Fender Custom Classic Stratocaster, Dommenget Explorer 90 Custom, 008 White Zebra Mastercater, PRS Paul Allender-SE. I only wish it had a Floyd Rose. If I'd lose it I wouldn't buy it again (not because I don't like it) I love the sound, and the playability. I don't really like the finish, and that it has no Floyd Rose option, it's the thing I wish it had.

This guitar perfectly withstands Live playing. The hardware seems like it will last (but as I sad above, the knobs became unstable, with time) The strap buttons are very solid. I can depend on it, I would use it on a gig without backup. The finish is good enough to last, it seems not to wear off easily. So it seems good.

Well, the guitar was very well set-up at the factory. The pickups were well adjusted. The bridge was properly routed, the tuners were well set... The guitar didn't really contain flaws when I bought it, but with time (like 3 years) the knobs became unstable.

Made in 2007, in USA. This Guitar has a basswood body. Five-bolt oil-finished maple neck. Maple, oil-finished fingerboard. 25.5" scale length. 22 frets. Patented Dual Compression tail-piece. Schaller non-locking tuners. 1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way Switch controls. DiMarzio X2N bridge and PAF Joe neck pickups. Official US Army digiflage pattern, (it honors veterans). A case, and strap were given with it.

whencowsfart101
    Nice, but MAPLE fretboard? Doesn't really go with the rest of the guitar, and that's the reason I sold my ESP MW-600 on eBay.
    AsOneIStand
    Good job reviewer. I remember when I read my first issue of Guitar World. UG, they copied this damn near word for word from Guitar World. I read the same issue.