Predator review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 5.2 Decent
Peavey: Predator

The little time that it does stay tuned with these tuners, it has good sounds even for poor quality pups. I get the best sounds playing blues & metal, but that's not really a fair estimation since I am using a crap practice amp and pups that I'm not happy with to begin with. I'd say that with better pickups of any variety, a better amp, and new tuners, that this guitar could rip some good tunes.

My overall impression is that with replacing whatever you don't like hardware wise. This this is solid and would be a workhorse after a few mods to suit your needs & style of playing.

If I were to do a gig with this, I'd keep a backup. But then again, I'd keep a backup anyway regardless of what guitar I'd have in hand. I wouldn't rely on the hardware, but all in all it's a solid guitar body, and the strap bottons seem solid too. The finish is tough enough for me to whack it without a big worry or worry about wear and tear taking it down.

The best feature on this guitar, is the action. It's very comfortble and fast. As stated before the only major flaw in hardware I could find was the tuners, though the nut for the plugin has an annoying habit of loosening but nothing that can't be fixed with lock-tite or glue.

I'm not sure of the year of this guitar, it was a couple years old when my daughter bought it, and I bought it from her in may of 2005. It's a 22 fret neck made of maple. it follows the Strat styling. Not exactly sure what the bod is, but it sounds and feels like basswood to me. The finish on the body is top notch and keeps good form even with my not-so-gentle handling of it, however the finish on the neck is what I'd call sub-par. Obviously the first owner thought so too, because they tried to sand it to get a faster neck. Of course it has the standard style Strat tromello. It comes with a 5-way selector, 1 volume and 2 tone controls. The two pickups are stock Peavey single coils. I cant say they're even good, frankly, they byte. The only redeeming thing is that, under the pickguard, there is a nicely routed area to place a couple of good humbuckers to replace the poo installed at the Peavey factory. The tuners on this thing are the worst I have ever seen. It would behoove you to replace them the instant you get your hands on the guitar. The original owner (who I also know) says they were like that from day one. The guitar came with a nylon gig bag with thin foam inserts, not the best, but it's a tough guitar despite it's foibles. Had to purchase a strap since it didn't come with one originaly.

otherkid
    this was mi first electric guitar that got passed down from mi older bro i like it the sound is a little better then average but the feel is very close to a strat it doesnt get much use now cause of mi new guitar but the only thing i found bad bout it was that the higher frets the strings seemed to high ova the fretboard but i adjusted the trustrod so its betta
    pocallaghan2002
    This was my first guitar, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. Which would be a good thing if it wasnt such crap