Predator review by Peavey

Peavey: Predator

Purchased from: Buried Treasures

I will say, I am a beginner, but I still play pretty well for my style. I play Metal, Hard Rock and Classic Rock(mainly metal, though). I use a Randall amp, and I really think that at the first setting, the guitar sounds okay(provided the 2 tone knobs are all the way down), but the others are just annoying with all the buzz you get. The guitar can make a good solid sound, but that's about it. The tremelo arm does it's part, but the bridge simply WILL NOT do divebombs OR sqeals, wich annoys me greatly, since those are key to great metal solos.

Overall this guitar was a pretty okay buy. I really bought it just because it wasn't expensive, though, because our house was flooded in may. However, we should be getting back in soon. This guitar could really use a Floyd Rose speedloader bridge, because Divebombs and Great metal squeals are impossible. Overall, an okay buy.

This guitar is very well at playing at concert. I would definatly bring it without a backup, the strap buttons are great, but the finish can scratch up. Not very easilly, though, so it's okay. Allthough I haven't been on stage that much, I'm pretty confident in it. It doesn't really steal the show, though, as a Dean Rebel Dixie would be much better.

The guitar was pretty well set up, not looking at the slightly warped pickgaurd. One of the pickups were slightly sinking in, but a tiny little tweak with a screwdriver and that was taken care of. The pickup selector gives an annoying click and the input jack took a very long time to fix, for it kept shaking loose. Although, I had that fixed and good as new.

This guitar was made in USA, has 22 frets, solid top, solid black finish, has an altered Stratocaster-styled shape(including a place to rest your strumming arm while strumming), has 1 volume control, 2 tone controls and a 5 way pickup selector(the pickups are 3 single coils, by the way), the bridge style is unknown, but is definatly not a floyd rose, even though Floyd Rose is very top-notch. It still has a hole to place a tremelo arm, so I'm fine. Overall, the features are pretty much okay.

christian.blas
    This was my first electric guitar back in mid 90's. I did know anything about electric guitars at that time, (I was 15, now 34) and it was great to learn. I had a base in acoustic, so I did know what a bending was. I did it's first setup in my 20 ' s and I started to like the sound of it. I used a lot with a lot of my first bands back in college until someone gave me a les paul. Time has passed and I have play in a band where I am the lead guitar, I use a schecter and a les paul now and I am more a les paul guy now, but this one is special because I learned a lot with this guitar. The sound is ok, I even recorded some demos with this guitar and it did a great job, from Beatles to trash metal. I used it a lot and never failed me, so it was at the end a great investment, since I only paid $120.
    Uthought86
    This was my very first guitar when i was 10 years old. (now 26) As a kid i thought it was great but what did i know. Looking back the action was crap. Its a wonder that i keep playing after starting with this guitar. I think more people would stick with guitar if they didn't buy guitar that fought them as they were trying to learn to play. After this I got an 80's Kramer. Cheap from a pawn shop but still a hell of an upgrade. Floyd Rose, not single coils, and warm tone. All better than the Peavy.