Predator Plus review by Peavey

Peavey: Predator Plus

Purchased from: The Music Box-Ashland, Ky.

This guitar is great suited for blues and good old classic rock. It leaves something to be desired in the metal department because of the more-warm-than-hot humbucker, but played thru my 'lil Marshall combo amp and Zoom 2020 effects, I can produce some decent metal crunch. It has a really punchy sound at he middle and neck position, but the single coil pups are a bit noisy, in which I usually use the 2nd and 4th position humbucking selection for a variety of great tones. The tone knob has a heck of alot sweep and can almost be use as a wah effect.

This guitar suits me perfectly for the band I play in at the time, which is mostly classic and southern rock. I will probably switch the bridge humbucker for a DiMarzio Super Distortion soon, but everything else is top notch. I started playing in 1988. Out of the 50 or so guitars I have owned, this is definitely in my top 5. It truly rivals much more expensive axes. Although I have read this particular model is very hard to find, If you come across one, pick it up. Reminds me of a souped up Strat, with an alternative flowey style about it. Stratocaster on steroids. BTW, if anyone comes across another one, I would be interested in purchasing it from you or even trading a nice Mexican Fender for it.

Best factory strap buttons, locking tuners and bridge I have seen on any guitar in any price range. This is a very durable feeling guitar and you can't knock it out of tune. It's made it through 2 2hour sets 3 nights a week with me over the past month and I've gotten alot of compliments on its sound and looks.

When I purchased this guitar, the setup was stupendous. The action is amazingly low and fast. Using Ernie Ball 8-38 Extra Slinky's, the action rivals any of the higher priced bigger name guitars, and puts my Strat to shame the only adjustment I have made is to raise the bridge pickup to get a little more punch. It is very comfortable to play, but is actually pretty heavy.

From what I have gathered, this particular guitar was made in Korea in 1999-2000. It has a poplar body with a maple neck and 21-fret rosewood fretboard, which is one of the best I have ever encountered. The neck is thin and fast, and the truss rod setup is like the much more expensive Wolfgang model, which has no need for an allen wrench to adjust. The finish is solid black, with chrome equipment and a white pearloid pickguard. The bridge resembles something from Wilkinson, or Kahler, and the tremolo arm is very responsive and precise, and stays is tune exceptionally well, thanks to the Schaller locking tuners. The body style sort of looks similar to the EVH models, but really looks like no other Peavey guitar that I have ever seen. The pickup configuration is H/S/S, with the fat poled single coils in the middle and neck positions screams old 60's fat Strat bluesy rock tone with great sustain, but maybe a little too much noise. The bridge humbucker has a good tone, but not really HOT enough for my liking. Combined with unbelievably low playing action, killer sustain, and sharp looks, this is now my main guitar and by far the best Peavey I have ever played. By the way, I just put it ahead of my Ibanez RT-450 and Mexican Strat.

rv_phoenix
    A 9,2 for a guitar whose bridge couldn't be identified by the reviewer (it's a Floyd Rose licensed one, btw) and whose bridge humbucker will eventually be replaced? I think it's a gap between the reviewer's pretty experienced considerations and his rating, way too high for an old Korean-made Peavey Predator. I myself like my guitars very much and wouldn't trade them for more expensive ons, but the rating reffers to something else than our personal feelings. P.S. Schaller locking tuners on a guitar already provided with a double-locking tuning system? Peavey's older catalogues only mention "Schaller tuning pegs".
    MaggaraMarine
    Majes
    Wrong picture check on google, that guitar is from 1999-2000, back then this model was different. And tremolo was a 2-point system,looking like in Music Man JP model, so thats why it had locking tuners.
    menotbug
    ummm, this guitar doesnt have a pickgaurd and has two humbuckers. dunno if this matches the peavey predator's description but certianly not the plus model unless it was modded.
    hotrod1695
    The picture shown is not the guitar I reviewed here. I actually think the one pictured is a newer model exp model with the Floyd rose licensed trem. The one I have has locking tuners and not a locking nut, and for the price I paid is a very nice guitar. Actually, it's the only predator plus I have ever seen like this, but checking out a few websites, i suppose there are not many around anymore. Like I said, plays AND sounds better than my Strat. Hope this review will be helpful.(and BTW, I never was a fan of Peavey guitars before I found this one)
    hotrod1695
    And I later found that the bridge is a Wilkinsin WVP and the tuners are in fact Schaller locking tuners.
    hotrod1695
    MaggaraMarine wrote: rv_phoenix wrote: P.S. Schaller locking tuners on a guitar already provided with a double-locking tuning system? Peavey's older catalogues only mention "Schaller tuning pegs". Yes. Seems like many people think that "locking tuners" means the same as a "locking nut". It makes no sense to have locking tuners and a locking nut at the same time. It's like triple locking.
    Yea some of us just don't know much guys...is this thing called a guitar?...lmao.
    NHECOS
    Peavey guitars are bad... it's just my opinion. And I really think this review isn't helpfull.