Predator Plus EXP review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Peavey: Predator Plus EXP

Purchased from: Second Hand

Now this is where I have issues with the Predator Plus EXP. The double humbuckers produce a lot of noice, which makes the guitar sound very messy. Although my amp produces a lot of noise anyway, I know that it's the guitar as I have played it on a Marshall cab and the sound was still messy. I intend to buy new pickups when I have the time and money. That said, it is still a great guitar to chug on as palm muting is made very easy.

For a person that plays all sorts of music, from Megadeth to Rage Against the Machine to Sex Pistols. This was my first guitar, but since then I have bought a Ibanez RG350 which is noticably different. I wish that it had a better locking tremolo, and I am thinking about installing an Edge Pro or a genuine Floyd Rose. A stable, if hastily made, guitar.

This guitar has already managed one gig, which it survived incredibly well. I expected the tuning to screw up due to the heat of the venue, but it did not and played two songs very well. In general, the black finish is very durable and takes a well aimed blow to chip. Very strong.

Again, there is issues with the action. The licenced Floyd Rose is very difficult to stabalise. When it is in the right position, ie: paralell to the body, the action is far too low and most notes cannot be played. As I speak, the bridge is at a 20 odd degree angle. Not impressive. Apart from the bridge, everything else is reasonable. It is very durable and can take quite a beating, although there is one other small problem which is the whammy bar falling out. Make sure that if you have this guitar you tighten it regularly.

I have a second hand black Peavey Predator Plus EXP. It's got a Standard set up, double humbucker, licenced Floyd Rose bridge, three way selector and two knobs. I got a 24 watt amp, which has as a rubbish distortion effect, so I run it through a Boss ME-50. The finish is nice though and fretboard is a pleasure to run up and down. It's a Standard Strat-like guitar for budding metalheads.