Predator Plus EXP review by Peavey

Peavey: Predator Plus EXP

Purchased from: Steve's Music

- I play progressive rock and metal, and through my Peavey amp (not sure of the model of amp, since it's not mine and at our practice space), it has a very decent sound. - The pickups are among the best you'll find in this price range. The bridge pickup has a lot of bite to it with distortion but never feels like it's too thin or crispy. Very smooth sound for a guitar of this price. Not a lot of noise either. The neck pickup is a bit more smooth-sounding, and perfect for the clean tones. I'd still replace the pickups for a better tone, but if you're buying a cheap shred guitar, you can't do much better than this guitar. The variety of sounds is pretty amazing, as well. It'll handle clean, chorused tones as well as it'll handle high-gain metal tones. Very pleasantly surprised, but it's still not going to compare to a more expensive guitar.

- It's a good match for prog-metal, if you're just getting into playing it (I'm a bit more advanced than that, though, as I've been playing close to 10 years) - I tend to prefer stop-tail guitars like my Squier Stagemaster seven-string. - I wish I had asked if this guitar came in other colours before buying it, because the black model with the white binding around the top is absolutely sharp-looking. - What I love about it is its versatility and the tuning stability. Thanks to the Floyd Rose, it's unwaveringly in tune. I also love the sculpted heel of the neck, which is a wonderful feature on such an inexpensive guitar, improving access to the upper frets. I dislike the complexity of the guitar for a gear noob like myself. I've played fixed-bridge guitars for so long, and I never got used to Floyd Roses. - Before I purchased this guitar, I tried out a couple of other cheap guitars, including an ESP LTD M-series guitar and an OLP Axis copy, and this one was priced just right and sounded just perfect for my tastes. It wasn't too thin or crisp, and it was very comfortable to play. - I wish this guitar came in a transparent colour with a flame maple top. They just released a stop-tail version of this guitar with a purple and Orange transparent finish over a flame maple top, and they're absolutely gorgeous. And, a personal preference of mine, is having 24 frets, which the stop-tail version also has. Other than that, this guitar is an incredible value. Also worthy of mention is how versatile this guitar is in regards to modification. Throw in a couple of good quality pickups, replace the Licensed Floyd with an OFR, and you'll have yourself a near-perfect shred guitar comparable with more expensive guitars, for less than a grand.

- I believe this guitar will withstand repeated live playing. The hardware is fairly sturdy on this guitar, but the Floyd Rose causes me concerns. It does break strings on the saddles often, which is definitely something that can be remedied by replacing the saddles with graphite ones. - I replaced the original strap buttons with Schaller strap locks, but the originals were large and solidly in place, and I would have gigged with them. - I wouldn't use this guitar without a backup for the obvious fact that it has a Floyd Rose, but it's definitely a great choice for a first main live guitar.

- The setup from the music store I purchased it at was perfect. Everything was perfectly balanced and intonated. The pickups were perfectly adjusted. The jumbo frets are not to my taste, but there were no prickly frets and the neck was nicely finished. - The only flaws I can think of with the action, fit and finish is that the finish is very thin and very susceptible to chipping and being dented. I've been very careful not to bang this guitar around, and yet, it has a few dents here and there. It's also a bit difficult if you're not used to a Floyd Rose, to set up on your own. I learned my lesson the hard way by putting the wrong gauge of strings on it. Otherwise, a pretty decent quality for a guitar in this price range, but again, still not going to compare to a more expensive guitar.

- Made in 2006-ish, in Indonesia. - 22 jumbo frets, 25.5 inch scale, rosewood fretboard, maple neck. Very fast neck, with a satin finish that doesn't get sticky when playing fast. - Basswood body (according to Peavey Customer Service), maple neck. Very light body. Basswood bodies have a bit of a tendency to make the lows sound a bit muddy and this is no exception. - Metallic Candy Apple Red finish (also comes in Metallic Cobalt Blue and Black). Black binding around the top of the body. The finish is kind of thin, and is a bit easy to dent. But it is pretty beautiful. - Superstrat body style, comparable to a lower-end Ibanez RG or a Jackson Dinky. - Passive humbucker pickups, three way selector switch. The pickups are pretty decent for a guitar in this price range. - Licensed Floyd Rose bridge, locking nut. Standard Peavey sealed tuners. - Bought it with a gig bag, came with a bunch of Allen wrenches and springs for the Floyd Rose. All in all, pretty good features for a guitar in this price range. I picked it up for about $300 CAD (I put the MSRP down above), and it may be the cheapest guitar by a well-known company with a Floyd. The only thing I would change is the Floyd, which is a licensed Floyd, and doesn't quite feel the same as an Original Floyd Rose.

se__mental
    what happens with the floyd on this guitar. i want to know if the guitar goes out of tune because of the floyd on it. Please help me I want to know your experience with this bitch and to kow how the floyd rose works. Thanks
    stormrider8202
    From moment I picked up this guitar I fell in love. I bought this second hand and their were only 2 things I wasn't a fan of 1 that it was red and 2 the pick ups are not great for playing heavy metal but I fixed both my refinishing the guitar and painting it purple joker theme and buying some cheap crusader pick ups from dragonfire.com and I now have a guitar I will never part with. This guitar is not for new players bc the tuning can be a pain in the ass. But that's the price you pay with having a Floyd rose. The guitar is like it was built with me in mind. I run up and down the fret board effortlessly. It's all I could ever want in preformance. It's worth it's money and then some. I give it a 10.
    travislausch
    And I know some of you are going to read my review and say "he rated it so HIGHLY and yet it is a budget guitar! It deserves less than a 0!!!1!1!!!". Here's the thing, yes, it's a budget guitar, yes, you can buy something much better if you save up, but *IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A GUITAR IN THIS PRICE RANGE AND COMPARING IT TO OTHER GUITARS IN THIS PRICE RANGE*, this guitar is a winner. If you're comparing it to more expensive models, then it's not. So please, before commenting on my review, keep that in mind.
    ranga97
    I like this, how would it compare to a ibanez rga32t? it has an edge iii
    R3l3ntl3ss
    destroyaz
    R3l3ntl3ss wrote: I paid 100 for mine a couple of years ago and it holds it own against my other, more expensive guitars. Tuning is very stable and the pickups give a good sound. The action is great if you take the time to set it up (or get a good shop to do it). Peavey missed a trick with this one. If they had given it 24 frets and a better finish, it would be a strong competitor to the lower end of the RG series.
    I think the pickups are definitely better than my lower end RG... and a Floyd Rose is no doubt better than my fat 10 trem so I think that would make up for the finish and the fretboard