PXD Tomb review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Peavey: PXD Tomb

Price paid: C$ 320

Purchased from: Axemusic.com

I play mostly metal, and at lower volumes this guitar delivers quite well. The feedback, however, is astronomically bad. I think it's the combination of the overly high output pickup, the small basswood body, and the conductive aluminum pickguard that's responsible for the feedback. At higher volumes, the sound tends to break prematurely, especially during palm muting It has a solid low end, and very bright highs. Cleans= virtually none existant, it distorts the hell out of them (but it is supposed to be purely a metal machine, after all) Overall above average sound, but the feedback is just terrible

Overall, it is what it is: a totally bargain metal guitar for people who don't plan on playing in front of people, or aren't very concious about their tone. I bought it because money was totally tight, and I needed a temporary guitar before I got a job. Peavey's attempt at the metal guitar is dissapointing. They should stick to making amps and audio equipment.

This guitar is very durable, and it could definetely withstand live playing, except for the fact that the aluminum pickguard reacts rather badly to sweat. It hasn't rusted yet, so it's too early to tell how truly durable it is, but tarnishes are beginning to appear on it. However, due to the feedback, I don't think it would be a great idea to use it, unless you wish to molest your audience with screeching feedback.

The setup was fantastic, the action was perfectly low for shredding. There were no flaws on the body, and the pickup was adjusted just right. This was probably the only thing about the guitar that was really worth recognizing. The satin finish is also great, because fingerprints don't really show up on them, and it's just generally more durable then gloss finishes.

-made in 2009 -24 jumbo frets, rosewood fingerboard -basswood body, bolt on maple neck -black satin finish with aluminum pickguard -looks like a reversed ESP viper -tune-o-matic bridge -1 active Peavey pxd pickup -1 volume -Peavey Precision tuners -came with a softshell case

abysspell
    Your right, its not the most amazing guitar ever, but the guitarist in my band has one and doesn't have the feedback problem (and absolutely loves the guitar). I was actually in my local shop when the Peavey rep. came in with the PXD series and got to demo them myself on a 6505 cab, i think that they are amazing..
    GuitarPlayer716
    EpiExplorer
    Lawl, He must have the worst amp ever. of course it isnt very good, but the high volume problem is usually due to a bad amp..
    saint_berzerker
    Well, I guess if you don't care what it looks like, or what it sounds like...this could be the guitar for you. huh?
    Tyler Durden
    sooooo, if you dont care how it looks or sounds then its a good buy? *scratches head and leaves review
    flashreaper
    flashreaper
    Not to mention,for the record, the picture is the wrong model (ultimate guitar should really pay more attention to that)
    windy.uk
    Got to give credit to the guy though, it's one of the first honest non 10 reviews we've had.
    EpiExplorer
    flashreaper wrote: GuitarPlayer716 wrote: What are you playing through? Some of the sound problems could be from the amp. What are you comparing this guitar to? You seem very disappointed with this guitar, but also seems like you should have done a little more research on it; you can buy a (moderately) decent low end ESP LTD model that seems like it would have been a better fit for your needs for the same or similar price. Well, I initially ran it through a line 6 spider 3 (i'm just waiting for dipshit trolls to start hammering it, lol). To prove my point that the feedback is not in the amp, I played it with a peavey 6505, and the feedback was no different.
    Dont play so close to the amp then? o.o
    Vabolo
    By the way, aluminum doesn't rust, so you don't have to get your tetanos shot to play your guitar.
    sc_stanger
    jonah used this guitar when he played with bleeding through (too bad he had to quit). but he had a great sound. you need to mess around with your amp settings to get the most out of emg,s.
    Wiintruder
    celticstorm84
    Nice review. I saw these on the Peavey website and they don't look half bad at all for the price. I like Kahler trems and with the hardware, wood and all it doesn't seem like you're paying an arm and leg for these. Wouldn't mind trying one out.
    Single Foo
    I've got a PXD 23, it's pretty solid, the neck is the best neck I've ever played (i havent been able to play on anything great yet i live in a small town) the puckups r rad, sadly not so much at high volumes but i think I've fixed that problem :\
    GuitarPlayer716
    Wiintruder wrote: every time a review comes out with an all 10 everybody complains....but as soon as somebody does a review with average score everybody talks bad.....good review dude, good details specially on the sound.
    I wasn't trying to be a jackass about it, I just had legit questions about the review that weren't necessarily covered in the orignial review.
    Thank you for clearing that up for us. I wonder if maybe your pickups need to be adjusted? Idk...I'm not much of a guitar tech, I just play haha.