Raptor review by Peavey

Peavey: Raptor

I play Grunge, Blues, Rock and Country. This guitar is best at Grunge and Rock with Distortion or Overdrive with the gain up some. Play it mostly on a Roland Cube 30 but will hook it up to other amps on occasion. This is basically a backup guitar for me. Though there are some songs I will grab this for on stage, like Nirvana, Green Day and Misfits metal sounds. The humbucker pickup I put in sounds great for that kind of sound and is Very Hot and makes the single neck pickup sound warmer by comparison. You can get allot of different tones from this guitar but it is missing a warm sound that you get from semi-hollow bodies (but that's why they make those)

I have a 1963 Gibson ES335, 1990's Oscar Schmidt OE30 and until recently a 1950 Epiphone Regent Triumph (drunk fell on it). The other guitars have a warmer sound but this guitar has it's place. I replaced the bridge pickup with a Power Rails Humbucker from GuitarFetish.com. The body was routed out but I had to dremel the pick guard and move the volume pot lower. I also took the bridge single coil pickup and moved it to the neck position (don't ask me why I did it, it was just an experiment) and I like the tone from it there so I'm leaving it. This guitar is very easy to work on as everything is connected to the pick guard (much different from the OE30 and ES335 which are a pain in the ___). If this guitar ever gets demolished (don't see it happening but you never know) I would probably not buy it as I'm not a big Strat fan but for what it is it's pretty good and I would recommend it as a cost effective Strat. It is better made and sounds better that a Mexico Fender Strat even before I modified it. I hear that the new Peavey guitars are not built as well as this older version and on that I can not comment but I like this older Peavey for what it is... A good Strat clone.

This guitar is very durable as it has seen many days and still looks great. The body is a heavy chunk of wood and the neck is bolted on so it would be easy to replace if needed. This is the guitar I go for if I think it's gonna be a rough night or I'm going to a jam session for ____ & giggles as I don't worry about this getting damaged at all (not because it's cheap but because it's durable).

For a used guitar and it's age this has held up very well. The finish is very durable as I can not see any scratches and has no chips. The action is set very low with no fret buzz and the frets are smooth. The tuners have plastic key heads but they hold tune very well.

Was given as a gift so I don't know how much it cost Peavey Raptor I made sometime in the 1980's Made in Japan (According to Peavey) Cream Body Rosewood Fret Board / Maple Neck 1 Volume, 2 Tone, 5-way selector Comes with 3 single coil pickups Bolted Neck It's a Strat... Replaced Bridge Pickup (see notes below in impressions)

gufnuk
    the raptor rocks - mine is more than 20 years old and it's got more twang than a new Mexican F-ender Strat
    s1cks66
    does anyone know the nut width or if i can just get a standard strat nut as a replacement, the one i had on mine snapped a few years back. we bought a blank but havent bought the chisels and i dont se it happening as they are a good ammount of money ya no?
    jimmyjimbo72
    qlmaX5 has been playing for 8 years, yet rates this guitar 10/10?! He also mentions that Peavey are making Guitar Hero controllers in the same review?! Oh Jesus...