Raptor II review by Peavey

Purchased from: Red's Pawn Shop

This guitar is awesome for you power chorders out there who play deep, low end rock. With the right pedals and adjustments this guitar can also play a very well mid-range jazz set. It's high end sound is nothing to be desired, tho it's amazing low end sound makes up for that. I use a Marshall Lead Combo with it, and it sounds great. I also changed bands while using the guitar to a heavier rock band. I use a sub instead of a speaker in my amp which accents the low end sound of the guitar and worsens the high end sound, which pretty much sucked from the get go. The 5th and 6th strings (B + e) have a whine/ear piercing type sound to them, this has been tested on 3 different sets of strings as well. This goes well with a Wah pedal or a Crybaby pedal and a good lead. The sound again has a deep power to it. I wouldn't suggest purchasing this guitar if you are a big lead player, due to the lack of rich sound high end and the high elevation of the 18th+ frets at the beginning of the neck. I like the guitar when i am playing a breakdown or a lower verse but the guitar is below satisfaction when you break into leads.

I play some funk-ish/rock-ish/technical-ish stuff with this guitar. A tom Morello or Mike Enghinger type sound. It works very well with this, but as I lend it to my friends who are way into Hendrix or SRV, they seem to be disapointed in it's performance high end. Had I known of this guitars durability, I probably would not have purchased it. The only time you hear anythign good about Peavy guitars is when people buy custom models of famous guitar player's guitars. There's a reason for that. If the guitar came with a few more control knobs, 2 mor pickups and 24 fret's I would love it to death. It has a GREAT rock sound to it, and that is probably the best thing going for it.

The Reliability on this guitar is a 5, the durability is a 2. This guitar sounds good live, and has a good look to it. (Exact look of a Telecaster). The hardware on it sucks, as it is already breaking in under a year of medium use. The paint and finish are VERY good, only 3 scratches in the paint were me being an ass and slamming my guitar. The strap buttons are solid, but a bit on the small side. I depend on this guitar, being the only one I have at the moment I have no choice. I would use this guitar with no back up anyday, but the longer you use it, that confidence would fade. The plug-in where the chord comes in from the amp is starting to loosen from the guitar. Again, I reinforce this point. Durability-2, Reliability-5.

This guitar was bought "used" but it was brand new at the store. The guitar was bough offline on accident and a guy just came in and sold it to the pawn shop without even trying it. I've been using this guitar a little under a year and it's beginning to fall apart. The volume knob has become loose and the construction of the guitar's lock which holds the knob down is horrible. It has NO ( i repeat) NO locking device to hold the knob to the guitar, it's just held on by the plate that it sets on. The guitar can be put together and taken apart with ease, and the neck is amazing. It has a perfect balance between durable and thin, and a great bend to it. The guitar stays intune very good.

My Peavy Raptor II... also my first guitar. 21 Frets(weird)with a mahogany neck and head. Face of the neck is staind a darker color the the rest of the neck. Laminated top, 2 humbuckers (model comes with only one in it, but second can be easily installed). 2 control knobs, volume and tone. 3 Pick ups, clean medium and heavy distorted-ish sound. The guitar has a transparent finish on it with the type of bridge with the coiled springs that hold the strings (forgive me for forgetting the name, slipped my mind). Tuners do not lock, made of steel and are rather small. Thin neck with nice round backing, average size frets. Guitar came with a soft gig bag.