Raptor II review by Peavey

The 3 pickups aren't really that good. The bridge coil has a nice sound for the usual stuff - y'know punk, rock, blkues etc. Just don't try to play reign in blood anytime soon/ The other 2 pickups are just mud in electromanget form. It might not be set up right, but the sound's a bit cheap as well so I'm guessing it's right. THe middle pickup works well with the bridge, but I don't touch the neck unless I'm trying to imitate cpalton (in which sense, it actually works with the tone rolled down). Again, it's only a newbie guitar, but I'm not comparing this to a Gibson, so I'll give it a 7. It handles distortion & overdrive quite well, so it has it's up sides. Might definitely want to upgrade the pickups to Fenders or Duncans, so I don't have to shell out for a Fender.

It's a good beginner's guitar, for sure, anyone looking af Squiers should be gently pursuaded to look at one of these. I've had this thing for 4 years, & I'm keeping it because I can't be bothered to sell it for beer change, which is what I'll get for it. Again, it's not 'Blackie', but it's solid enough for someone learning the ropes, & it still gets picked up every now & then.

I've already covered the only problem I had, which I'm fine with. To be honest, I used it for a recording & it was all right, and it's a handy backup, but it's not a main guitar. The strap buttons. Were better than the strap that came with it, that was complete crap. It holds leather straps & the like just fine, but I don't use anytyhing weaker anyway, so just use locks for safety.

Was set up all right, so far as I can see. Tolds tune pretty well, even after going ballistic with the trem a while. Only problem I had was after a few weeks, the jack holder broke, so had to send it to the store to pull it back out. Apart from that, and a few extra nuts to hold the jack holder in place, it's been solid. I'll be lucky to get more than 50 for it if I tried selling it on, so I won't. Simple.

I got given this as a first guitar in 2003. YOur usual Strat copy Starter Kit, 21 frets, rosewood fretboard, maple neck & headstock. No idea about the body wood, but I'l guessing alder or something like that. 3 single coil pickups, and a tremolo bridge. 1 volume and 1 tone control. I tore off the 'made In...' sticker very early on, but I'll presume China. I got it in a big ol' Starter Kit (158 rage amp, lead, pick, gig-bag, that kinda thing. The box is handy for extra storage though) In the usual way, it's pretty damn generous, so I'll give it a 9. Also made at least an attempt to make the body design unique, which is a first. Nothing major, just the second cutaway isn't so severe, so it'salmos Tele-like in that respect. Also, the tuners are 3 and 3 rather than 6 on 1 side.