Raptor Plus EXP review by Peavey

Peavey: Raptor Plus EXP

This guitar suits my classic rock style like any other guitar would. I use this guitar with my backstage amp. It is noisy. It sounds rather terrible if you don't use distortion. It has a bad habit of fret buzz, and open string buzz. If you play it just right, though, you can make it sound like a professionally made guitar. It has pickup problems with high volumes. I recently replaced it's strings with a set of acoustic strings, which actually changed it's tone overall. It made the guitar sound excellent as a rythm guitar.

This guitar can go good with certain categories of music, but it sounds terrible with most categories I play. I wish I could have gotten it without the humbucker, which creates buzz. If it were stolen or lost, I would just settle my losses and buy a better one. I wish it had a green finish, mine came in black.

This guitar may make it on stage as a rythm guitar, but I wouldn't play it as a lead guitar. The hardware may last, but I would rather change it. The strap buttons are OK, for now. I would use it in a gig as a rythm guitar, but I definitely would use another guitar before it. The finish is easy to scratch, but none of it has been chipped off yet.

The guitar had a rather low action, and the pickups were about 1/2" from the strings. The frets buzz, the bridge gives feedback when you strum strings, and the 3rd (G-String) tuning peg is stubborn. I had to adjust the truss-rod several times, along with the bridge.

I don't know the year of this guitar, but it is a basic Strat-styled guitar that is designed for the budding guitarist. It has 21 jumbo frets. The neck is made of rosewood. It has one volume knob and one tone knob. There are three pickups on this guitar, along with a five way selector. There is a humbucker for the bridge pickup, along with two single pickups in the body and the neck positions. Peavey made the tuners. I actually bought this as a Peavey Backstage Starter pack. The guitar came with a truss-rod wrench, a electronic tuner, a gig bag, a strap, a cable, and an amp.

Rogue Hermit
    Kirenjob wrote: Peavey have terrible guitars... Amps are good tho...
    at least their older stuff was really good. i'm using a 1980's impact 1, and it has amazing hardware and sounds great. i wouldn't trade it for anything. but with this guitar, i do agree. kind of like a squier, only 2% better.
    silentdud
    It's a great guitar, however it is also a beginner guitar. Great for the price but if I tried to whip this out at a show the sound is so horrendous that I would get booed off stage.
    howie21
    yeahh i had a raptor my first year of playing, but like they people said, it's just a beginners guitar. that's all.
    archangelseren
    IUseAPurplePick wrote: My friend has this guitar, we dubbed it the "Craptor"
    i have it and my friends did the same thing why did i buy a peavey guitar???? damn sets!