Raptor Plus EXP review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Peavey: Raptor Plus EXP

Purchased from: Steve's

The sound on the Raptor is actually a lot better than it deserves to be, considering the overall quality of the guitar. It's fitted to pretty much any style of music, really, and sounds especially good with distortion. That said, mine has some seriously nasty fret-buzz sometimes, and came with a pretty low-quality set of strings. Strings can be changed however, and taking all into account this guitar has pretty good sound for the money.

I've been playing guitar for almost 4 years now, and got a new Godin about half a year ago which is approximately 2 billion times better than the Raptor. Back when I was a beginner, if this guitar had been stolen or lost I probably would have gotten a new one. All considered I would still say this is a pretty good beginner guitar, and you're not going to get much better for the price.

Since I've gotten this guitar, the insides have been completely blown, the neck has been irreversibly screwed up, the strap buttons have all but fallen off, and it won't stay in tune for more than 5 minutes. At most. In all honesty though, this has all happened in the last year I've owned it, when I was pretty much ready to get a new guitar anyway. Before this guitar started to fall apart I've played it on stage (with a backup of course) and haven't had any major problems with it. Truthfully, this is a beginners guitar, and you only really need it to last a few years, at which point you're probably going to be ready to buy a better guitar anyway.

My Raptor has fairly low action, and the pickups are about 1/2" from the strings. To be honest nothing was wrong with the guitar when I first got it, although it appears to be made in China, probably in less than perfect conditions, but I was pretty sure it wasn't going to blow up on me as long as I treated it right... how wrong I was.

The Peavy Raptor Plus EXP is a Standard 22 fret electric guitar, with a laminated top, body and neck made of maple, and (in my case) a rosewood fingerboard. It has a Strat type body which actually looks pretty awesome, a 5-way pickup selector, and single volume and tone knobs. As for pickups, it has two single coils and a humbucker in the bridge position, ll of which seem to be made by Peavy. All-in-all, I think it has pretty good features for what it is: a beginner guitar.

yDocSicnarf
    Bought this guitar about five years ago in a combo pack with a Peavey RAGE 158 combo amp. Best $150 bucks I ever spent. I play in a band, and still use this guitar over any other guitar I own. After you break it in, the neck plays like butter, the stock pickups in it aren't really that bad at all either. They have a good crunch to it. I did recently switch out the original humbucker with a Seymour Duncan JB model, and let me tell you, this thing can scream. The sustain on it is amazing. My raptor will literally vibrate in my hands from the sustain it rings. I think I happened to stumble upon the one in a thousand guitar that was sculpted perfectly, but this guitar is worth its weight in gold. Screw calling it a "Starter guitar" this thing can be played by anyone, With a little love, it will do whatever you want it to do.