Raptor Plus EXP review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Peavey: Raptor Plus EXP

Purchased from: A friend

Sound-As per the pickups, I was surprised. The 5 way selector Switch would have been better off as a 3 way, because it sucks in the middle back and middle forward pos. I play blues and classic rock mostly, but I play pretty much anything I can learn. This guitar actually covered most of the bases well, except I think it lacked a nice Strat quack, and was a little more suited for metal and distorted songs. However, I was pleased with the versatility and the sound.

As a start-o-caster, it's fine. If you are a serious guitar player looking to get a stage worthy guitar, this is not it. Really, if you want to get a good Starter Kit for your kids, get a Squier starter pack and a Peavey starter pack. Give the more musically inclined one the Peavey amp and the Squier guitar; therefore he/she will sound better. Give the one that just wants a guitar but has no interest in playing the Peavey guitar and the Fender amp. Not a huge difference, but hopefully it will give all what they want.

Well, I've had it for 3 years, no major breakages, except that the electrics stink so they wore out. Now there is lots of crackle... Need a compressor. Ugh. The neck can be bent like hell, and the soft case it came in was.... like plastic. No protection whatsoever. So if you broght this guitar to a friends house and it is damaged afterwords, blame the bag.

The action was pretty good, but a little high for me if anything. The fretboard felt good, but it was kind of buzzy. 5 mins in the garage with a file fixed that for me. The pcikups selector has this demonic crackle... *Shivers* But the bridge is reaaaally loose. One bout of whammying and it sounds like my little brother got in the room and messed with all my tuning pegs. Can't really complain though; I've got my nice Gibson to turn to.

As for the features, it's ok. No problems with the tuners or anything, but the bridge stinks. It used to completely throw my guitar out of tune the second I touched the trem. The springs kind of got bent out of shape after a while too. The peripherals on the guitar were ok. The Peavey amp was good, as Peavey is primarily an amp manufacturing company, so that is to be expected. It is not really as good as a squeir though... Think of it as a trade off; Squire- Guitar=better Peavey= included amp=better