Raptor Plus EXP review by Peavey

Peavey: Raptor Plus EXP

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: St. John's

I play everything. Although I don't play everything well. I mostly play (well) blues and classic rock. I play it through a 10watt Marshall combo practice amp. It has a lot of hum from the single-coils, which is to be expected. Surprisingly, the sound is extremely versatile and the different pickups each have unique characteristics. Neck is scooped, very soft and hollow. Mid is funky and twangish. Bridge is very rock-like. Can be twangy if you pick in the right places. EXTREMELY impressive for this cheap of a guitar.

This guitar is not good. It is for beginners and that's as far as it goes. However, since scalloping it, it plays and sounds BEAUTIFULLY. Honestly, just plays like a beauty, sounds a lot chunkier now. Love it. I've been playing six years, own this, an old Kasuga, a classical guitar of no particular significance, and a Switch Innovo IV. This is better than the Switch, but hails in comparison to the others. If it was stolen, I would NOT buy another one. I would have a good reason to get a decent guitar that I won't have to spend seventeen hours scalloping.

I would definitely gig with this guitar without a backup. Despite being so cheap and hard on the fingers, it is extremely consistent and rugged. I could drop this baby down a flight of stairs and she'd still play just as badly as before. But at least I can trust it, so in a gig I know she will always play the same way. The finish has lasted 'till now without even breaking in. Quite possible the best thing about the guitar.

The guitar was extremely poorly set up. It was just sad, honestly. The pickups needed adjustment, too bad I didn't realize that until two years after I got it. Likely there were no manufacturing problems, just bad setting up. The finish is just plain beautiful. As for the action, it took 'till this year to finally figure out how to get it to play nicely. How did I do this? I scalloped it. Without scalloping, the action just would not get good.

I don't know what year it is. 2000 something. It is made in Japan. Has 21 medium-jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard. The finish is beautiful... A really nice deep red colour, highlighting the grain in the wood. It is a Strat-style guitar with a Strat tremolo bride, although the tremolo is much stiffer than a Strat's. It has one volume knob, one tone knob, and a five-way selector switch. Two Peavey single-coils and one humbucker. Non-locking cheap tuners. Came with gig bag, strap, picks, electric tuner, patch chord. Unfortunately, all the parts are very cheap, and they FEEL cheap too.

Livingtime
    i've started guitar 4months ago, i'm already sick of this guitar, i wana make pinch harmonics really stand out but the single coils aren't getting me where i want, although the bridge pick-up i like coz it it sounds like an echo every note when i do the solo from nothing else matters by metallica
    tbone326
    I got this as my first guitar. I've had it for nearly 3 years now, and it still works fine. Great guitar for the price, but when I upgraded to a Paul Reed Smith Mira, the raptor suddenly didn't feel as good. But it is great for a first guitar