Rotor EX review by Peavey

Peavey: Rotor EX

Purchased from: Bays Music

I love this guitar because it sounds so clean when distorted (if that makes any sense.) It is not the best sounding when it comes to playing acoustic, but once you plug the sucker in it is just amazing. There are a lot of cool sounds you can make with this guitar, and a lot of ways to experiment cause it's good for several types of music, mostly harder stuff, though.

I play a lot of heavyier stuff. I can't really categorize it all under one genre. A lot of industrial, and alternative, and hard rock, and heavy metal, and speed metal, and grunge. This guitar works great for all of it. The only thing I don't think you could play with this is bluegrass. This guitar to me is irreplacable, if I lost it, I would just be short a guitar. These aren't factory made, they're handmade in indonesia, and I also can't afford another one. But if I had the money I would buy 20 of these bad boys.

This beast weights about 12 pounds, so it's not exactly a throw around kind of guitar. It is very durable, I proved that by accidentally slamming it against my bass. Too bad for the bass, but the guitar didn't get scratched a bit. This is a great guitar for gigs, I can tell already, cause you don't have to worry about a strap coming loose (unless the strap sucks as bad as mine does) and you don't have to worry with a back-up cause unless you bodyslam this thing into a monitor, or a drum-set it ain't giving. But beyond the body itself, the finish is awesome. I've had no problem keeping this thing clean. I'll be able to see my reflection in this thing for years.

The guitar is beautiful, needless to say, if it was a chick, nevermind. The only "problem" I see with this guitar, which really isn't a problem, being as how it's supposed to be, but the bridge sets up at about 45 degrees, so if you're stupid enough to take thee tune-o-matic off you have no chance of keeping it in tune. The Floyd Rose was really what got me on this guitar. It's so sensitive, and smooth, and with the combination of the tun-o-matic, you never have to worry about going out of tune. This is a great guitar for pick up and play action.

This guitar is actually pretty recent, this year I believe. It's expecially recent to me, I just got the thing. Ayways, beyond that, it has 24 jumbo frets (rosewood fretboard), mohogany body, a satin, black finish, a licenced Floyd Rose, and tremolo, a tune-o-matic/ locking tuner (very handy) a 3-way switch, and humbucker-like pickups. The pickups are identical to humbuckers, though I'm not sure if they aree because they are pretty much unidentified.

sabata777
    hey, irnmdn- both rotor EX, and EXP's say EXP on thee headstock. really the only visable difference is that the EXP comes with no inlays, just a rosewood fretboard. if it has inlays, which are probobly square and pearl, its a EX
    DimeDarrell666
    irnmdn wrote: How do I tell between Rotor EXP and EX. I ordered EX for $250 online, the guitar I got has EXP on the headstock. It has floyd rose tremelo, 2 pickups, 3 way switch and 3 knobs, did I get lucky and get EXP guitar for EX (1/3) the price?
    no it says this on all the headstocks, mine is "only" an EX but on the headstock it also says EXP
    roosterfx1
    yeah and i think the exp has mother of pearl running around the edges of the body.
    NeverWakingUp1
    i am a beginner guitarist who has been plying on a borrowed guitar froma family friend, but is looking to get his first guitar, and i as wondering if this guitar would be good for a beginner? any help will be much appreciated.
    NeverWakingUp1
    i am considering buying this guitar as my first, will it be good as a first guitar or shall i get something else?? i can play a few things like iron man, sweet home alabama, good riddance, and a few intros, but i am looking into more metally stuff.
    Thrashed™
    No, you didn't. EXP doesn't have any tremolo system. Someone must have put an EXP neck on it though by accident
    sabata777
    I've had mine for about eight months now, and I can't say anything different, or any less about it than when I got it, especially since I added the extra spring to the bottom of the bridge to help lower it and keep it in tune. If you buy this thing new, I advise you to take the extra one they give you, open the back and strap the little joker on. It don't even require any tools or anything. But you might want to downtune, and loosen all the strings first. Be careful as you do that as well, because without that third spring the bridge'll pull whichever string you loosen last all to hell, and'll probably snap it. But anyways, with that third spring, this thing is amazing- you just have to know how to do bridge work. =)
    Epiphone'sRock
    i also have this guitar its a very good guitar with some excellent metal tones on clean pickups can be a tad murky and you realy do need to know how to work the bridge or you could do some major damage to the guitar