T-15 review by Peavey

Peavey: T-15

Purchased from: Local Pawn Shop

At first I played this guitar after playing a Fender Mustang. And I liked the sound of the T-15 over the mustang. The Super Ferrite pickups really packed a punch in the shop. I was using a Fender practice with a little Drive and the tone sounded great. I bought it to play soft rock and maybe a little pop punk on. I got home and decided to see what it sounded like with my metal/hard rock settings and on my Line 6 Floor POD Plus through a Peavey Deuce tube amp from the 70s and it sounded great. There was a little noise but not an unbearable amount. I mainly play metal, blues, and many forms of rock music. Harmonics sound great on it and it has a really great tone. I'm going to give it a 9 due to the noise.

For me this guitar can fit my style and I believe counrty would sound great on the T-15 also. I used a slide on it for a little bit and I was pleased with the sound. This guitar surpassed my expectations. If this guitar was lost or stolen I would be angry. I would probably flip out. If I knew who stole I'd probably go hunt them down. Like I said this guitar bested a Fender Mustang that was in the shop. I don't remember the exact model but it was an American made Fender. I going to give impression a 9.

I think this guitar is great for gigging. With all the Peavey guitars I have owned, (like 4) the hardware always seems great. Considering 2 of them are from the 80s, I believe in Peavey hardware. The strap buttons I had to add seem reliable. But the sad thing is that the guitar has 20 frets and yes for my style I will need 22 frets to play with one guitar. For a rhythm player this guitar could go without a backup but I play lead. So I'm giving it an 8.

I don't know how this guitar was set from the factory but when I got it I had to raise the action a tid bit and the guitar did not come with pegs for a strap, a ground wire was visible through the pickguard, and I had to file 1 or 2 of the fretwires. The guitar is a natural color with a white pickguard, silver and black, and a silver pickups selector. These issues were small and since it was used I'll give it an 9. Otherwise I'd give it an 8.

The T-15s were made in the U.S. during 1982-83 and its features are: 20 frets 23.5in scale Metal Nut 37 inches in total length It weighs close to 9lbs 3 way selector Peavey Super Ferrite(Some say they are p-90s and some say humbuckers) 1 volume and 1 tone Peavey Trulock tuners Case with a 50 watt amp built in. The body is ash and the bolt on neck is maple

The^Unforgiven
    Wow, I think it seems incredibly cool! I love ash-bodied guitars (both for tone and looks), and to me this one just screams: "Play some god damn punk on me!". Great find, m8!
    Tjet612
    JohnMerrick wrote: What do you mean by "a case with a 50 watt amp built in it ?"
    The case that the guitar originally comes in has a built in Peavey Amp. The amp has a cord to give it electricity and it cannot be battery powered. The case is oddly shaped so that the amp fits. It doesnt look like a 50 watt amp but thats what is says when you look at it. I thought it was bull but the amp actually can crank up pretty loud. So if you have the case you will always have an amp. The settings on the amp are: Pre-gain, Post gain, and equalization.
    Vampire96
    cool case man \m/ nice overall everything you got there now i wish every guitar case could offer that "amp in a case thing" so i won't need to carry an amp, cos i have it in the case.
    dlowe102
    I got one brand new in 82.I was 12. Terrible guitar the action is stupid high and i dont know how you adjusted yours because the bridge has no adjustment.I tried to learn on this crap and gave up quick.Even to this day i wouldnt be able to play it. I did use the amp in the case after i got a playable guitar around 14 y.o.
    Tjet612
    Copy and paste this to see me doing a demo of the t-15. The harmonics sound great as i said earlier.
    Romper Stomper
    I saw a similair case at a swap meet and I must say that it is pretty sweet. Cool deal man, one of the great reasons to check out your local pawn shop.
    VicVanity
    The T-15 was Nicknamed the mississipi mustang.(compared to teh fender mustang) they are great i had one back in 81 with the case in amp its 50 wats rms Not a 50 watt amp.
    iwannarockism
    I would have to disagree about that guitar. I have been playing a Peavey T-30 for a number of years and I think it sounds like crap. It has 3 pick-ups with a 5 way selector, 1 tone and 1 volume. The Humbuckers make way too much noise on 1-3-5 (Dual Coil). I recently replaced it with an Epiphone Les Paul Night. Talk about a huge f'in difference in sound!
    dlowe102
    The sound was never an issue back when i had it.It was the incredible high action and with the bridge there was no way to lower it.My dad had a first year peavy bass and bought this beginer set for me when back in 82 when i was 11. I gave up playing pretty quick because of the guitar and the fact that he was showing me open chords that because i had the tip of my index finger sewed back on couldnt do alot of them on this guitar. I got a 50's fender music master a couple of years later and it played like a dream and once i found different chords to work around the finger started playing
    Wulver
    Having played a Peavey with those pickups before (though not the T-15 itself), they've got quite a unique sound to them. can't really find a comparison. I quite liked them though.
    old mark
    I have a T15 and a T25, as well as 3 other peaveu guitars and a Peavey bass...also 3 Peavey amps. The T series have adjustable neck tilt screws, and it is easy to change the string height, etc, by using that adjustment along with the bridge and truss rod. The manuals for all these guitars can be downloaded free from Peavey if you google them. ALL the Peaveys I have ever played over the last 20+ years have been extremely good guitars, and very good players. mark
    kevinpaul
    All of you made some great points. But not alot on the T15. The guy that played the 3 pick up job for years and hated it. Why did you do that? I would kick it out the window.