Tracer LT Review

8.5
 1,948
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Tracer LT Reviewed by: thebat, on april 29, 2015

Features: Made in the USA handcrafted in the USA this meets all the spec of a Tracer LT but the headstock is different.

• made in 1992 by serial dating from Wikipedia
  • dinky strat shape
  • rosewood fretboard rock maple neck
  • maple neck
  • coil tap on volume knob (not wired on this because of EMG)
  • 1 humbucker 2 single coils
  • Peavey licensed Floyd Kahler locking nut
  • 1 volume 1 tone
  • stock humbucker replaced with EMG select
  • 5 way selector switch
  • the fretboard on this one seems to be slightly scalloped so I am not sure if this is the same with all Peavey Tracers.
// 7

Sound: It suits what I play well, it was advertised as a shredder so I wanted a guitar to play Greg Howe, Vinnie Moore type neoclassical on in addition to old school metal /rock and some thrash. I play through a old Carvin valve amp XV212 with no effects just the gain of the amp and reverb. The EMG select is a passive pickup and is not real hi gain at all but it delivers a decent sound. It is fairly mid sounding and quite bright. If you play Dimebag harmonic squeals these ring out really well. The trem is surprising good being a Peavey licensed trem. It has a Kahler locking nut and it is a weird combination. Some Peavey tracer models had Kahler Spyders but there are some that are mentioned as Kahler/Floyd Rose locking Tremolo where the trem does not have Kahler on it but the locking nut does. Sorry for any confusion but it is hard to get any real spec on these guitars there are manuals on the internet but they are very generic. In fact I had some issues with the seller who took this trem off and replaced with another then I asked for the original and he got some parts for it and I am still ot convinced it was was the trem that was originally on this guitar. The sounds are good it has a 5-way selector switch and and you can clean sounds though to real grit from the humbucker. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Since it was second hand and I had to put the neck on it I set it up myself. So I had to fit the tremolo and string it and tune it so I cannot comment on a from the factory Peavey. The fretboard is slightly scalloped as it said in the eBay ad. This makes it a real joy to play, superfast neck. The pick up selector works fine the EMG is a passive select one not really hi gain at all. The action is a amazing on this guitar it just about plays itself. I got it because the ad praised it neck and it is a nice one to play. The rocking maple makes it a really glossy finish to slide around on. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a real workhorse guitar it was pretty beat up when I got it and had a few chips on the paintwork I have since touched up. It has straplock buttons on it so do not know if they are original. I would gig with this guitar it is as tough as they come durable and it plays like a dream. It is a real inspiring instrument since it is so easy to play. I often pull it out if I am struggling with a piece of music I am learning and it seems to fall into place on the Peavey I have never broken a string on it so the hardware is good quality. // 8

Overall Impression: It is a real shred machine great for sweeping arpeggios and fast legato runs down the fretboard. It is also good for hard rock playing and power chords. I have been playing for over 20 years and this guitar will inspire me to burn the midnight oil and nail any piece of music I am learning. It sits easily alongside my Jacksons and Charvels for playability. The width of the neck seems to be between my Charvel Model 4 and my B.C. Rich NJ Series Ironbird. I also have a Fender HM Strat, Heartfield and a Yamaha RGZ as well as a LTD.

I really would replace this if it was stolen and often look on eBay and other sites for Peavey Tracers. I would love to get my hands on a Peavey Destiny. I would have preferred this to have a Kahler Spyder trem on it personally. The trem is okay and does stay in tune but as I said I don't think it was the original. It pulls back and dives quite well. The 24 fret slightly scalloped fretboard is a dream to play and nearly any review of a tracer will have a glowing comment about the neck on these guitars. I couldn't pass this up at $200 and it is a guitar you don't have to baby. It looks cool with its superstrat body and has a good cutaway for high fret access. // 8

Comments