Vortex EX review by Peavey

Peavey: Vortex EX

Purchased from: MusicStop/Long&McQuade

This is definately a metal-shred guitar. The basswood body give solos an out-front, mid-rangy tone that really cuts out. The pickups are really good for stock pickups and harmonics really leap out. It could use a little more bottom-end, so I'm likely going to change the pickups to duncan invaders. The neck pickup sounded pretty good clean, for bluesy/jazzy tones. But bottom-line: this is a metal guitar.

I play metal and this guitar does exactly that, and does so rather nicely. I've been playing off and on for many years and I've had many guitars. The best guitar I've owned was a Charvel 475 special. This Peavey is probably the second best guitar I've owned (and I must say, that it plays better than the Charvel). Right now, I'm playing through a Roland micro-cube. If this were stolen, I'd probably buy something different. Not because I'm unhappy with it, but just because I like to try different things. I wish the guitar came with a bound neck and shark-tooth inlays.

As far as gigging with this guitar, I'd be concerned about the finish wearing off, or denting or breaking the guitar. The light basswood coupled with the extreme shape give one a sense that a sudden turn might snap a horn off the guitar if you hit something. I would not play Live without a back-up, but this is true of any guitar.

Action was a little high for my taste, but I've adjusted it and it's fine now. Pickups are kind of slanted downwards towards the neck of the guitar. The guitar plays extremely well. it's made to shred on. The highest frets are easily accessible as there's a distinctive cutaway for it at the neck. Hammer-on's and pull-offs are efforteless due to the higher frets. The guitar forces a lighter touch. After I lowered the action a bit, there is some mild buzzing on some frets, but nothing really noticeable.

It's a 2007 Peavey Vortex EX made in China; 24 frets, 25 1/2 " scale, thin maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. Frets are relatively high off the fretboard, giving the guitar an almost 'scalloped' feel. Body looks like a Jackson Rhoads, it's solid basswood and quite light, with a satin black finish. it's got a licensed floyd rose, with the Peavey logo on it as well. Two ceramic humbuckers (very hot) with three-way Switch and a single volume knob (no tone control). Tuners are grover with hollow pegs which look cool. The construction is flawless, I could not find a single fault construction-wise in this guitar. Finish is perfect (but scratches easily). I give features an eight only because of the lack of a tone control.

Agent_00Funk
    Looks like a very nice guitar. Id rather have inlays on it though (the pics ive seen of others had no inlays).
    afrika18
    it stays in tune very well. But honestly, I don't use the floyd a lot so...
    hadik
    this is an amazing guitar! i got it a few months ago, and i love almost EVERYTHING about it. 4 things i dont like...well, 5 are the following: -the paint is a lil weak. and when i got it, i noticed that the paint had a few bubbles on it, meaning the facoty didnt do a good job -the peavey site said that this guitar comes with a single knob for volume and tone(which means it might be a push/pull, or a variation of them)...but i only got a volume knob. and unlike most guitarists, i actually play around with my tone knobs quite a lot, and i dont apprecieat if my tone is set to 10 by default -though this guitar is fairly light comparing to strats and les pauls, it still is heavy when comparing to jacksons or some other guitars. the bass wood is slightly lighter, but when comparing to alder on jacksons guitars...there is no comparison. would have liked it to be a lil lighter -for a hundered dollars more, peavey offers rotor ex, and v-type exp guitars that come with neckthru constrution. wondering why vortex doesnt have that option. would have liked a neckthru neck -nothing too big, but i would have liked this guitar to come in different colors. would have liked it in white. but i love how it has no inlays. it gives it a more cooler look.
    timmeh_fz3
    does anybody know whether this guitar is neck-heavy? Meaning, is it balanced? when you stand up with it strapped on, will the neck droop to the floor unless you hold it up? I'm interested in this guitar, but I'm concerned about the possibility of neck-heaviness. I hate having to hold up a guitar neck while I'm playing it. if you feel like responding to me via email, I would be very appreciative! I'm at timboykin gmail
    Cpl_Metal_Head
    Its kinda neck heavy, but that dosent really affect the playability unless you have it slung really low
    Mad73
    It costs 249.00 EUR at Thomann.de. Does anybody know that is it suitable with Rockcase Beast? Cuz I'd like to buy a case for it, but I couldn't find any other.