Vortex EX review by Peavey

Peavey: Vortex EX

Purchased from: Walters Music

Surprisingly, this is a metal guitar. Sure the neck pickup is wonderfully bassy and the bridge is extremely twangy on the clean but if you want this axe to scream, get a nice distortion or overdrive goin and you'll be busting out some insane leads or rythms. Right now I run it through a Fender Frontman 15G, sadly it's the only amp I got at home. It tends to get noisy at higher volumes, but I blame the crappiness of the amp because on my friends Peavey Transtube 212, it's beautiful. Although it is a metal guitar, it is pretty versatile.

I play just about everything as long as it has a beautiful lead or rhythm part in it. I've been playing for a year and 2 months now and this is about 4715890347689 times better than my Yamaha ERG121. if it got stolen, I'd sit in my room, cry, cut myself etc (just kidding) then go find Who took it and kill them slowy in front of their family. I wouldn't buy it again simply because I already had one. I would go get an ESP lp with 24 frets or save my money for a few months and get a Gibson SG. The only thing I don't like about this guitar is the FR, but I've learned to get used to it. I have no regrets about this purchase, except for the fact that the case I got with it was for a standard guitar and not a V.

This guitar was made to play Live. I've hit the upper horn in the back quite a few times and there are still no scratches there. The paint on this is pretty solid but I have scratched it due to me playing around with the intonation and scratching it with an allen key. I have yet to gig with anything at all, but I think it's stupid to gig without a backup, although I'm still waiting for that faithful day when the strap I'm using falls off whislt playing this. Why? Because the strap buttons are so huge, it took me 5 minutes to get the strap on properly. The paint on the bridge has come off due to heavy palm muting, but it gives it some pesonality.

The action on this was beautiful, but I didn't like that it came with .9s on, so I switched to .10s. Everything about this guitar is perfect, except for the slight unbalance while standing, but it's no more than a half inch dip. One other thing I didn't like was that it only came with 2 springs in the back.

BulletzAreScene
    hellsdefender wrote: does it come with a trembolo bar ???
    i'd imagine it did, if not, their only like, $8.
    kylerguitarist
    if somebody stole mine, instead of killing them in front of their family, i'd kill their family in front of them, and then kill them with razor blades and lemon juice
    munkee shred
    This thing is amazing, I play a bunch of micheal angelo batios stuff and this thing shreds! Plus its metal enough for metallica and megadeth stuff that i play
    Whiteboy_az
    Been wanting one of these for a while. BTW, anyone who complains about factory setup is an idiot. If you don't like the action, take it luthier and get it adjusted. It's like buying a car, you don' t complain about not being able to reach the pedals, you move your seat and adjust the mirrors, same concept with a guitar setup.