Custom review by Phil Wayne

• Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Phil Wayne: Custom

Purchased from: www.strikingguitars.com

This is a great all around guitar that is suitable for just about any type of music from classic rock to the harder stuff. The sound is very rich, full and perfectly balanced. I play it through a Mesa TA-3 amp and man does it kick! The guitar is also dead quiet and great in the studio.

I play mostly blues and contemporary and this is now my main guitar. I've been a professional musician for 35 years and have played with a number of known name bands and toured with Joe Cocker for 12 years. I also own a 72 Les Paul, American Fender Deluxe and a 1964 Gibson ES-335 and this guitar is as good as any of them. Most Phil Wayne Custom guitars have very audacious marbleized finishes that are quite unique and very different than anything I've come across. But I chose this one because of its more traditional look and I'm very happy with it. The guitar looks, feels and sounds great. No regrets. It's truly a very fine instrument.

After a year of playing it, I've haven't experienced any major problems. Still strong as the day I got it. I did have to add a little tension on the tremolo springs but that's about it. I've never owned a guitar that doesn't need a little tweaking from time to time. I don't beat up my instruments but I'm sure that this guitar can hold up under a good amount of abuse. Guitar is built very well and should last me forever.

The guitar was set up pretty well when I got it but I lowered the action a tad and made some fine adjustments to suit my playing style. The neck is silky smooth with no fret buzz (even with the action as low as I have it). Really nice chocolate maple quilt top and the finish is flawless. Beautifully done all around. I'd put this guitar right up there with Fender's Custom Shop models. In my opinion, this guitar is very under priced.

-Mahogany body -Maple Neck/Mahogany fretboard -Chocolate Java AAA quilt Maple top -PICKUPS:-Bridge Seymour Duncan 59 Trembucker; Neck & Middle - Seymour Duncan SSL2-5 -Bridge Gotoh (oversized steel block and saddles) -Strings DR PHR-10 Made in the USA -Push/Pull Volume pot (Split/Humbucker Bridge PU) -CTS Tone pot -On/Off Mini Switch [adds Bridge pickup to position 4 (bridge + middle + neck) or position 5 (bridge + neck)] -22 fret C profile Maple/ Indian Rosewood neck w/pearl inlays Grover 18-1 tuners

saint_berzerker
    Their website is terrible. Guitars look even worse. They must play and sound amazing for people to buy these.