Thunderbolt review by Rally

Rally: Thunderbolt

Purchased from: Ebay

I usually play most types of metal (Children Of Bodom, Metallica, Lamb Of God, Anthrax, Iron Maiden) but I do like to play a lot of classic rock and punk. I'm running this guitar through a Crate GT1200 stack, which can make guitars sound really terrible or really good. I own a Jackson dinky and through the Crate it sounds terrible. The Rally however really does the amp justice, with really bright cleans, a lovely classic rock sound too. The pick ups handle blues and rock nicely, metal is lacking a slight edge but there is still plenty of harmonic response and a decent crunch and on the high gain channel the pickups don't hum or hiss. I do not own any effects pedals currently due to a lack of funds but I shall be investing in some soon to get even better out of an already good guitar.

I really didn't know what to expect with this guitar, I took a big gamble and it really paid off. It does suit my style pretty well, and having played nothing but super-strats for 4 years I wanted something that felt more solid and built out of mahogany. I also own a Jackson Dinky and an Ibanez RG and I prefer this by miles. A word of warning for anyone with tiny chimpy hands, the neck is pretty beefy on this guitar and I doubt your tiny hands could cope. All in all I'm very impressed, even more so at the price I got it for.

Can't really say much about the reliability aspect, but it seems nice and solid, the finish seems like it will last a good 20 years. I would gig without a backup if my band didn't write in 2 different tunings. Only thing that annoys me is the tuners are really pretty crappy, but they can always be replaced and are definately worth replacing.

This thing was ready to play straight out of the box. The action was nice and low, the neck pickup did need raising slightly though. The finish had no flaws, even around the neck joint. The bridge had tiny specs of oxidization, but this was very very minimal. Apart from that the guitar was fine.

Well, with the price this thing cost you'd expect a real bag of wank in terms of features, but this is not so. It was made in china in 2008 from what I can gather, has a bound 22 fret set maple neck, mahogany body, metallic gold finish, Explorer style body, 2 humbuckers, 3-way selector and grover style tuners. For these kinda specs you're usually looking at 300, the no name pick ups however bring it just off a 10 in this department.

bass_boi_ftw
    I bought this in blue from my local guitar shop, I was very impressed with it. I play in a metal band and it just about cuts the job. I've had alot of jack problems with mine and as a result it's had to be replaced twice. Otherwise a nice guitar for the price. I've used it as my main for quite some time, since it's my only guitar, but when i buy a new guitar this will probably become my back up guitar, it just doesn't feel like a main guitar really. Nice review though
    Seref
    Possibly the best review ever for the "bag of wank" line.
    Beffyyy
    Seref wrote: Possibly the best review ever for the "bag of wank" line.
    This
    Punkydoughnut
    i will say that ive had this gutiar for over 3 years now and it is amazing to play the neck is nice a smooth and i love the finish of this guitar 5*'s !
    Insanity ninja
    I actually love Rally guitars, and I currently own an Lp (not sure which one) and that thing is amazing! Stock setup straight outa the box and it plays like a dream! I also have a kinda semi hollow superstrat. I know it sounds weird, but it looks good and plays better But apparently these guitars are made in factories that were owned by the likes of Gibson, Epiphone, Squire, ESP and Aria. When I bought my first one in a shop I was told that they are basically the leftovers from the previous companies with a different name to avoid lawsuits. So essentially you could end up with a Gibson les paul for under 300.