Guthrie Govan Signature review by Rasmus by Suhr

Rasmus by Suhr: Guthrie Govan Signature

Price paid: € 600

Purchased from: Private sale

So as I said before if you haven't heard Guthrie go check him out, he runs the gamut of sounds. This guitar will go from screaming squealing beast to clean jangly tele in the blink of an eye. I use a Cornford MK50H amp head live and POD farm 2 in the office. I love this guitar because if offers all the greatest tones in one guitar. You want Hendrix-esque single coil neck pick up tone? It's there. You want Knopfler out of phase strat? It's there. You want a tele for all that country fun, guess what? It's there. You want to flick to a humbucker at the bridge and melt someones face? Yes you guessed it it does that too.

So, you should check these out if you ever see one for sale. In fact just buy it. I currently am looking for more, and would happily have another one just as a spare. It has to be the best value guitar I have ever owned, and I own quite a few. The simple way to think about this, is it was made to the standards of Guthrie Govan and that should be good enough for any other mortals alive. We will never reach his level but it is nice to know we can play a guitar that would be fine for him and all he achieves on it. Video from YouTube:

YouTube preview picture

I have gigged the guitar a bit now and the tuning is there. Some dinks have appeared but all my guitars are dinked, I play them not polish them. I could gig without a back up for this guitar purely on the basis that it has the greatest guitar invention of locking machine heads. String changes take seconds and you can be playing again. So even if I broke a string I could carry on. However I would never do a gig without a spare. The guitar, despite being mahogany, is pretty light, which is good, as I can often be stood on stage for 2+ hours and my Les Paul really takes its toll after that amount of time.

The guitar is finished to Suhr standards. If you don't know what Suhr standards are, then all I can say is they are the highest possible standards there are, beyond Fender, Gibson, Ibanez and all the rest. These are the top standards for guitar and this guitar meets them. Before I bought this guitar I tried some of the Suhr modern guitars for comparison and I really couldn't tell much difference. This Chinese made guitar felt and played just as good. Shame they don't make them any more. The guitar is as easy and fast to play as any I have owned including my Parker Fly's, and they have fast necks.

If you don't know who Guthrie Govan is then I suggest you pop off and google him immediately. Often referred to as the Virtuoso's Virtuoso, this is a player with exquisite feel, amazing chops and beautiful tone. He has it all and much more. He had a signature series guitar with Suhr, this was a very expensive guitar indeed. Not too many Signature guitars out there in the 3000+ dept. His was. But then it is a phenomenal guitar. So to get the guitar out to the general public John Suhr went to China and asked how much it would cost to make that guitar, not how cheap they could make it, how much it would cost to make it. The Rasmus became that guitar. A Chinese made Suhr. They were then shipped back to the USA, stripped down reassembled and finished by the Suhr craftsmen themselves to their exact standards. Features: - Suhr Modern model body shape, 2-piece African Mahogany body - Mahogany neck with Indonesian Rosewood fretboard, white pearl face dots - Modern Elliptical .800-.850" neck shape - 16" fretboard radius, 1.650 nut width - Jumbo nickel frets, PLEK Process at Suhr USA - Gotoh 510 solid-saddles, Steel block - Chrome locking tuners and hardware - Black Tusq nut - H-S-H; SSH+ HB in bridge, SSV HB in neck and FL single-coil in the middle - 1V 1T 5-way custom wiring, Push Pull to Split Neck HB - Deluxe gig bag

FuruiShin
    I don't know... It doesn't sound even as half good as Suhr does. Cost less than half imo... However all 10/10? Man, that's not even a review . That's an advertisement .
    TreyR666
    He is obviously in honeymoon phase with that guitar.
    RichieJovie
    Here's the thing, what would be the point of making an advert when I a) don't work or have any affiliation to Suhr and b)they don't even make this guitar any more. It just is that good. Sorry.
    filipe26
    You wouldn't need to say sorry if it was that good, but no guitar is 10 in every aspect. At least not in that price range.
    RichieJovie
    That price range is what I paid, not how much they are. But you seem to know more about a guitar I actually own and play than I do, which is no mean feat.
    cmvideo
    How the hell have I never heard of Guthrie Govan before?? This guy is AMAZING!! His style is soooo smooth.
    Air_Stryker
    I admittedly had not heard of Guthrie Govan before I'm afraid. Not sure why that is. Just hadn't. Now I'm listening to waves. Glad I know of this man now. =D
    CurlOfTheBurl
    600 euro? For a Suhr? WAT? I wonder why Guthrie left Suhr for Charvel? They're a dream-level guitar, so to get an endorsement I wouldn't pass up! Guthrie is a god amongst men though
    guitaristguy
    honestly guthrie govan is a great guitarist but that guitar looks and sounds like a boring hunk of shit. If I were you Id throw it away
    R0B0_Ninja
    It doesn't have the blower-switch which is a big disappointment, considering that this is a Guthrie Govan signature. (The blower-switch upon activation bypasses the guitar's circuitry and sends the bridge humbucker's signal straight into the output.
    RichieJovie
    You are correct, although I have managed to play for 30 something years without a blower switch i am not missing what I've never had.
    dwebb7
    Owned 3 suhrs sold em all more fret buzz than a 500 dollar ibanez Never seen a company so overpriced and overhyped suhrs sound amazing play horrible.Unless u dont mind tons of buzz .guthrie gone, tom quyal gone, rick graham gone,greg howe gone, he must have satan running PR for him . before you cool aid drinking suhr finatics reply sell your snake oil too someone else been ripped off 3 times but that bull shit