Custom 7 String review by Rees

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Rees: Custom 7 String

Price paid: A$ 400

Purchased from: www.customguitarworks.com.au

The guitar sounds very good for the price I've paid. I have spoken to Cameron before I bought it and he said he wired the pickups following the Seymour Duncan JB 7-string model. And the tonal characteristics certainly speak for it. It does feel a bit hotter and noisier than a JB, in my oppinion. I play it through a Vox AD50VT, which I usually set to play my ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM. Under the ESP setting the Rees sounds incredibly noisy, but by toning it down, you can get some nice and thick overdriven (classic JB) tones without excess noise. It however lacks in the sustain department a bit and probably due to poor hardware, more on that later... I've been playing for a bit less than 5 years and play a lot of my own stuff, but also enjoy playing hard rock like Metallica, Faith No More, Alice in Chains, Gn'R and also some guitar virtuoso stuff mainly Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. My decision to get a 7 string is influenced by the last two artists I've mentioned.

I knew exactly what I was buying when I bought for only 400 bucks. I saw some of Cameron's other custom guitars and he sure can make some beauties. So I kind of figured that It'll have a nice build but poor hardware, which is exactly the case here. I have been impressed upon how nice the pickup is, and I can do without changing it for now. And body is great. But the bridge has to go. Its hard enough to get a decent 7 string with Floyds at a low price, and in Australia its worse with the inflated guitar prices. This guitar has the potential to be much greater. And lets face it, your not gonna get anything better for 400 AUD. So If you are a guy/gal trying to find a cheap 7 string and do it up, this is pretty good. I'm pretty happy with what I got, I expected worse. Thanks for reading.

It should withstand gigging. Its fairly new and hasn't been beaten up enough for me to be conclusive. The body feels sturdy, but I'm not planning on taking it to shows without changing a lot of the hardware. Strap buttons are solid for now, but so is everything when Its fairly new, I'm planning on changing it anyway. Its finished off nicely, doesn't look to be fading anytime soon. And you should always use a backup for Floyd Rose equipped guitar, doesn't matter how good or bad it is.

I got it delivered by courier. It was setup nicely, came with a nice and low string action, frets feel smooth, even the tuning was fair off the box. Knobs and Selector are sturdy and smooth but the biggest disappointment is the Licensed Floyd. It is by far the worst I've played. The high E popped out of the string block and just won't stay there, so I got that machined by a tech and holds somewhat better now. I think that is also contributing into the lack of sustain I mentioned. And the whammy pulls and dives feel absolutely attrocious. I am somewhat spoilt by the Original Floyd on the ESP, but this is just terrible, and looking forward to changing it ASAP. To Shine some bright light, The finish and the general build of the guitar is very good. Its sturdy as. And it looks beautiful. The black hardware, black Ibanez style headstock and the cream/black stripes body binding really compliments the flame maple top and the natural finish.

Cameron Rees, a luthier from Victoria, Australia makes these guitars and are available through his website. I came across his page searching for a cheap 7 string guitar in Australia. The guitar is made of a flame-maple laminated basswood body; with a bolt-on 25.5" scale maple neck and rosewood fretboard. It comes with cream/black striped binding on the Body and white binding on the neck and shark-fin inlays on the fretboard. Mine is in a natural finish. As far as hardwares are concerned, it comes with custom 7 pickups, Licensed Floyd Rose double locking bridge, 1 tone, 1 volume and a 3-way selector.

st-michael
    EpiExplorer
    Looks nice but.. Its a dead end for me. I'm lookin for a 400-500 seven string and so far the only good ones are ibanez's.
    Nesak
    MonsterOfRock
    EpiExplorer
    MonsterOfRock wrote: st-michael wrote: hey man with the string popping out, try bending the end of the string back on itself with some pliers, after you cut the ball end off. about 1 or 2mm should do it. then clamp it in. i use to have the same prob on my rg570, that stopped it. the problem I had, what the tech told me was that the string block (the cube thingy) had some kinda gunk on it, which made it slippery, he machined it to roughen it up, now it holds on nicely, but the bridge still sucks. @ EpiExplorer: Cheapest Ibanez 7string with floyds in AUS, is still 1k+ (the S7320) and even terri-bad schecters are like nearly a grand. This blows!
    Lawls.. www.gak.co.uk do it globally methinks. they've got a wide range.
    Disturbdkornkid
    EpiExplorer
    Disturbdkornkid wrote: I've had a Washburn WG587 for like, 5 years now and it's damned sturdy for a C$250 guitar. I've gigged with it quite a few times and the only thing I want to replace are the pickups which I should get around to doing soon. Even then the pickups aren't as bad as low end guitars (B.C. Riches for example; my brother's Warlock Bronze has awful pickups). But if I wanted to spend more on a 7 string I would probably get an Ibanez, the thin necks are very nice and their Floyd system seems sturdy.
    Well, the 7 strings use Edge III bridges mostly, and apparently they're easier to use than Floyds. I'm still leaning towards the BCRich Jr V though, because theres this one with a shiny purple paintjob thats just so pretty, lulz..
    Nesak
    The BCRich JR V is a really sweet axe, but the purple color just turned me off entirely,it just made the model suit more of a Bullet for my Valentine or any of those emo-thrash bands. But that BCRich Stealth 7 string is a BEAST and am saving money for that one. Currently I use an LTD SC207 as a starter for 7 strings, modified it by adding Seymour-Duncan Invader pickups.
    j_link13
    EpiExplorer wrote: Nesak wrote: Schecter makes some pretty good seven strings, and I thing that they've got some that fits in the price range, including some equipped with a Floyd Rose. I know. I was thinking more of a Jr V 7 though, because the Schechters dont play as well for me. Plus I'm turned off by the cheapness.
    Your turned off by the cheapness? You can get a dean seven string for 200 bones on musiciansfriend. I say Schecter cuz they sell 7 string versiosn of just about all their models.and i like schecter