Jetstream 390 review by Reverend

Reverend: Jetstream 390

Purchased from: Reverend direct

I'm filing this just to temper the enthusiasm of Stevegio, whom I know from the Reverend forum. I have to say that he's right on the key issue - this is a very, very versatile instrument, with a wide range of tones. It hits single coil percussiveness and can also deliver very fat tones, thanks to the bass contour control, a great feature that adds or reduces low end. This instrument is very well known among its owners for its powerful low end response. On Delta or Hooker stuff you appreciate that. Highs are not as ice picky as Fenders can be, if you need that much treble you'll have to mod the electronics or get another guitar. There's very good quack in positions two (Clapton) and four (Cropper) as well. Very little hum in the three single positions, unless you're playing very high gain. It's hard to get a bad sound out of this guitar if you can play. It's easy to get a good one with a decent amp. I own a dozen guitars and this is the one I use on shows most, because it does any genre well.

I play RB, soul, rock, blues, lately jazz. This guitar can do a decent job with jazz (it's not a hollow body fer heavensake), and a great job with the others. For slide it's a knockout. I've done clips with this where people thought it was an acoustic, others where it sounds like Allman. There are guitars with more expensive finishes, but if you're buying a guitar to take to a show, and you like a warm single coil sound, this one will probably make you happy. These guitars cost a couple hundred bucks more now than when I bought mine, still worth it. I have owned Fender (Mustang, Jazz and Precision), Charvel (jazz bass), Gibson (LP Standard and LP 60s Tribute with P90s), Washburn (Steve Stephens signature), and other very good guitars. My amps are mainly Peaveys, I'm a bang for the buck guy and a Studio Pro 112 with a Tech 21 Blonde pedal is like a roomfull of Fenders. I've been playing 47 years, and I play some things pretty well. I currently own six Reverends, half USA made and half imports, all bought used except the Jetstream. I also own an Aria with 3 P90s that was a piece of garbage (electronics, hardware, everything) before I modded it, reminded me that the Jetstream was fine out of the box. I'd buy it again if I needed to. Don't be put off by Stevegio's rave. If you're looking for a single coil sound with more presence, you'll like this guitar. I'm giving it a ten because for the price, nothing's better, just different.

This instrument is as tough as a Strat. I've used it without a backup. Main thing goes wrong at any show is a string breaking, locking tuners make changes fast. This is a workhorse guitar.

Setup was fine, I adjusted action and pups to my taste (I need higher action than most and change tunings). No issues whatsoever to report. A few Reverend import owners had issues with the output jack, Reverend handled them. They take care of their customers. BTW, the guitar is substantial in weight and size, I'd say mine is 8 lb.

Made 2006, first run of the model. Chambered mahogany body, spruce top (!), maple bolt on neck, sperzel tuners, 3 Reverend P90 pups, volume, tone and bass contour controls, 5 way switch, graphite nut. Came with a decent gig bag, wrench. Has a Wilkinson tremolo that I blocked, I play slide and don't need it. Very well-appointed and designed instrument, especially at that price.

van drawn
    you are all pathetic... ive owned gibson custom shop and fender custom shop guitars ive owned guitars hand made for prince by mike antol from akron and to be honest this guitar is right there with all of them. it certainly plays nicer than any gibson and its hands down the most versatile guitar with the exception of maybe a steve morse sig. this company spends little time on the bullshit and just makes a ****in guitar how they should be made. enough said. any other opinion of bias is childish. a strat will always be a strat, a les paul will always be a les paul and this will always be a jetstream but nothing is like it. and it could swing either way but its definitely up there with the best.
    eddbolt
    Can't sing the praises of this guitar highly enough. NOTHING IN THIS PRICE RANGE COMPARES. Utterly mind-blowing quality for the price. The sound, feel, finish and components are far too good for theprice. This guitar will stand up against LP's, Tele's and Strats worth twice as much. The reviewers ain't messing around guys.
    eholtby
    I'm Ed, 30yrs old, playing 15 years, owned a bunch of guitars. Just spent 6 months trying out all sorts of les pauls, strats, and jags. Just bought this Jetstream 390. Nothing in it's price range came close. I found the consistancy with the les pauls really bad. One would be great and then the next 5 would be awful, and at 1/3rd more cost. The second I hit the first chord on the jetstream I smiled. Then I played it for half and hour and it was sold. Genuinely can affirm the passion of the two reviewers. I can compare the guitar to the Yamaha SG1802, which I loved, but the getstream is 3 and a half times cheaper, which is just scandalous! Utterly mind blowing guitar for the money. Might not be for everyone but simply has to be tried.
    Stevegio
    After bastardizing everyone who liked it...you must be getting paid for the review....How's it feel???
    equalizergroup
    The All 10s review is obviously inflated. The action is a bit sticky and heavy; typical of cheaper Korean guitars. The action reminds me of the G&L ASAT Tribute, which costs half the price. This is a pretty good guitar, but at $899 it is overpriced. The DiPinto Galaxie or Fender Green Lacquer Jazzmaster are similar, but better guitars. The DiPinto costs about $200 less. The Fender is about the same price, but comes with a case. If you want a great Jazzmaster guitar around this price, go for the Fender.
    Stevegio
    The equalizergroup has NEVER played this Reverend Guitar. The action is anything but sticku, it's smooth as silk and the body (ulike cheaply made Korean Guitars is solid Korina which you will find on some of the best Paul Reed Smith Guitars made. The Dipinto is a very cheap sparkly piece of junk, I've played them and THEY are REALY the CHEAPLY made guitars your talking about. And you couldn't GIVE me a Fender the quality is so slip shod. THis is the only guitar (IMO) that is gig ready right out of the box, try that with a Fender-Junk. But there is no educating the ignorant
    samh.sb
    Yeah bit over the top on the review there. But people should remember a review is still someone opinion. If they say they think a guitar is the best then that is there personal opinion, even if it makes them a pussy
    Stevegio
    Who are you to call someone a pussy, a Guitar Builder? A Custom Shop Employee or just an asshole, I think the later of the three fits you best
    edholtby
    Buying a gibbo fendor, gretch or prs because they're cool, despite the fact that the vast majority of guitars they offer for under £1000 are a rip off, makes someone a pusssy, IMHO