RPX-1 Review

manufacturer: REVV date: 12/29/2014 category: Electric Guitars
REVV: RPX-1
I play a lot of metal, and if you're just getting into that genre, this guitar is a great way to start.
 9.4
 9.4
 9.3
 2,084
review (1) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
RPX-1 Reviewed by: RLG167, on december 29, 2014

Purchased from: Max's Guitar Store (on Reverb.com)

Features: - Body: Solid Basswood
- Finish: White
- Neck: Bolt-On Maple - Natural Finish - Adjustable Truss Rod
- Fretboard: 24 Fret Rosewood with Dot Inlays
- Hardware: Black
- Bridge: Licensed Floyd Rose Double-Locking Tremolo
- Pickups: Two Humbuckers, One Single Coil. All passive.
- Switch & Controls: 5 Way Pickup Selector, 1 Volume & 1 Tone Knob
- Scale Length: 25.5"
- Full Length: 40"
- Width at Widest Point: 12 1/4"
- Body Thickness at Thickest Point: 1 3/4"
- Body Weight: 7.75 lbs

Comes with a cable and 3 allen wrenches. I'm giving it a 9 because they forgot the tremolo arm. I contacted them and they're sending it out today. Luckily the arm from my LTD M-100FM fits just well enough that I can use it for testing. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of metal, and if you're just getting into that genre, this is a great way to start. The pickups sound a little muddy, but with the right settings it sounds crystal clear. I found the bridge pickup to be the best for heavy riffs, while the center pickup is good on a clean channel and the neck pickup on a clean channel sounds nearly acoustic. With a proper setup you can really shred on it! I made the action a little lower (which was just 2 screws), but that's my personal preference. I've done everything from Slayer and Metallica to Dream Theater, Avenged Sevenfold, and Black Label Society (songs like "Angel of Mercy" and "Ain't No Sunshine," the songs with acoustic guitars) ans it can handle them all amazingly. I tried it through a Crate 40W amp, and a Peavey 70W amp, with a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal. I'm giving it an 8 because on some settings the pickups sound muddy, and the middle pickup is pretty much useless on distortion. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory the guitar was actually setup great. It seemed like they had tuned it at the factory because the fine tuners on the bridge were already adjusted. They loosened the locks at the nut and let the bridge go in so it wouldn't be damaged during shipping, but still be ready for a final setup and tuning. The pickups needed no adjustments at all. I lowered the action, but that was just personal preference, it was already good to go from the factory. All of the components and wood seem to be very good quality. Considering how cheap the guitar was I was expecting it to fall apart after one use, but I was wrong. I'd honestly compare quality to higher-end Epiphone. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems very sturdy and solid, I'd use it at a gig. I would bring a backup, just incase. The hardware all seems great, I don't think I'll have any problems. The knobs are a little difficult to turn, but I'm sure they'll loosen up as I play more. The finish it amazing. No nicks or dings, and it seems to be a pretty thick laminated coat. I got white, but they also have yellow and blue, which I'm assuming are just as good. I can't say for sure how long this will last, as I haven't had it long. But so far it's held up nicely. No cracks, and the finish seems nearly resistant to dings. Overall it's great quality. // 10

Overall Impression: This is good for anything from metal to smooth jazz, but I'd prefer it for rock/metal, because of the Floyd Rose. This is a great guitar for both the aspiring shredder and advanced. I've been playing for about 7 years now, and I love it! I compared it to my LTD M-100FM (with upgraded pickups) and after the mods I did to that one, I paid well over $450. But this can definitely hold its own against name brand guitars. Don't be fooled by the name "REVV" on the headstock, it plays just like any other LTD or Jackson I've had before. Overall, I'm glad I decided to get it. Most of the time if the price is too good to be true, it is. But this is that one hidden gem that everyone should have. I would get another one in the future for sure. I bought it from Max's Guitar Store from Reverb.com. They sent it out the day I paid, and it only took 3 days to arrive. (and that's during the holiday season). // 10

Comments