Les Paul Custom review by Richwood

Richwood: Les Paul Custom

Purchased from: Trad Music - Wakefield

I play a range of genres: Punk, classic metal, Indie and a bit of this crazy recent metal. And to be fair, les-pauls are just perfect for all of these. Even though it sn't a Gibson, this is incredibly vesatile with the adjusting of a few controls on your amp. I play through a Fender Frontman 15G 30 watt amp, and with my pedalboard, this sounds incredible. It sounds a little timid on low volume, but it's hard to find guitars that aren't. However, on full volume this guitar is a motherbitch to play, it sounds extravagant. To say it's a copy of a much better guitar, this doesn't let you down, and the price doesn't hurt either!

Overall, this is a close to pefect guitar. There is only a slight difference in quality to real Les Pauls. And that 900 quid off is a real heart warmer! I would by another one of these if it was stolen, definately. And my favourite feature has to be its versatility of sounds. If only it had a trem, that would be very admirable. If you're hard for cash and want to sound like Mr. Paige, or the overated Mr. Slash, then buy this. You wion't be dissapointed.

Having had this guitar for just under a year, I have been a bit clumsy at some points. It's recieved some pretty big knocks, yet the bodywork and hardware have stayed undamaged, which I'm surprised at. The finish is close to perfect, just as I had bought it, with a little clean every month or so. The strap buttons wobble slighty, but with a strap on, its weight perfectly balances this out. I've gigged it once or twice, I spilt up a bands a few weeks after buying it, but it was phenominal live, and stands the test!

Set up wise, this guitar is flawless. I don't see any flaws to a Les Paul's original design! On the second frets there is a little string buzz, but you don't hear this through an amp, which is ok by me. The action is brilliant, great for smooth chord transitions and those fast riffs that you can't nail on most other major brand copies. Sometimes you have to adjust the pickups though, they can be easily adjusted though.

I believe this guitar was made in Korea, but I'm not sre, just so you know. It has a rosewood fingerboard that glides beautifully, that also features 21 frets. It has a laminated top black finish with a cream trim and gold hardware, its very classy looking. The body itself is made of maple, its a good solid wood, and's survived quite a few knocks. It has a 3 way pickup selector, sepereate pickup volume controls, 2 tone controls, a good Tune-O-Matic bridge, and was made fairly recently. Perhaps 2 years ago.

Nerdo-sez-bo
    I posted the second review. And its the strings i was using that made the fret buzz, fender ballends are awful, I switched to d'addadrios
    Nerdo-sez-bo
    vamidero
    Richwood guitars are to my experience indeed a good buy. They came too close. I have several of them (getting a bit older, so one collects something): a Superswinger 400, a Red ES 335, an electro-accoustic in honey, even a orange stage clasic with nylon strings, and last but not least the rare but stunning LP Retro DC, which sounds as good as it looks.Amazing, smooth to play!
    Donkey Fly
    Nerdo-sez-bo wrote: Here's an interesting story about this guitar: Richwood have stopped making these guitars now, because Gibson have threatened to sue Richwood for having the guitar too much like a real les paul. Whaddaya know! It's a Gibson les paul with a different headstock. And i've got one. haha
    That is true - it also happened when ibanez were making copies for like 4 times cheaper.
    Billytoprod
    I agree with Nerdo-sez-bo. I've got one 2. Mine's a tobacco sunburst with pick up covers and the green Gibson type Kluson tuning heads. And it only cost me 90 squid! 'cos it's had a couple of dings - one about 5 mm dia on the body edge by the pickup socket and one about 8 mm on the body edge directly North West of the tune-o-matic bridge. Can't say these affect the look from the front and certainly not the playability which is great. OK it's heavy compared to my Strat but it's sooo.... much better in my opinion. I love it to death. It sounds like warm honey..... dripping through my old Carlsbro Scorpion !00 watt combo amp.
    roboteer67
    I,ve been fortunate to own a blood red tree of life, I've changed to Gibson ceramic pickups & am in the process of changing the gold hardware with satin black replacements purely for aesthetic reasons. I also have a Gibson Standard Ltd Edition & a Gibson Studio satin black with EMG actives, From day 1 The Richwood has been setup pretty close to perfection, it plays a dream & still looks like new, This is my 1st choice giggging guitar with my Studio 2nd choice strangely the most expensive Standard I have rarely gets used as the Richwood feels like it was made to hang around my neck, It's so well balanced with a lovely action, set up with Ernie Ball regular slinkys (10's)no fret buzz, the neck hasn't moved at all unlike my Indie copy which has twisted very slightly despite being hung by the headstock when not in use. In summary everyone who has played my Richwood has been amazed, several buddys have even bought Richwood guitars off the strength of mine..
    sj60
    Many of the reviews dont do it justice Its a great in its own right. The design and hardware give it a unique sound of its own, as well as allowing pretty good imitations of the best. As for it was better than a squire strat, well obviously. Its significantly better than price matched alternatives from epiphone, vintage, rockburn, tokai. as for squire it kicks is ass MoleyShwartz style quite frankly