Les Paul Custom review by Richwood

Richwood: Les Paul Custom

Price paid: € 100

Purchased from: Second Hand

I play mainly metal and this fits perfectly as the wide array of tones the I can achieve from it. I can go from a prog sound like Porcupine Tree to a death metal sound very easily. I play it through a few different set ups. Jamming I play it through a Crate GT3500 head and Crate cab. It has a whack load of gain and is really powerful and the Richwood shines through it. Warm lows but still a chunky rhythm sound and piercing leads which cut across well. It is noisy through that set up as it is quite a raw sound(no noise gate). Recording I play through a Line 6 Floor POD Plus into a Line 6 TonePort and through Gearbox. That has any sound I could want. So the sounds I can get with this guitar are unlimited.

It suits me as a musician, it fits well into my lap, the neck is very comfortable and fits my hands and it hangs well and is balanced. I've been playing 7 years and I've played a variety of guitars. This is one exceptional piece of kit though and right now is getting a lot play time but I still prefer the Jackson over it. I also think that this guitar is better than any Epiphone or Gibson I've played yet, but they're still alot of them for me to play!

This guitar is built like a tank and the finish is beautiful and really tough. That said I wouldn't play live with it. I haven't had it long enough to rely on it live. But in time I may play with it on stage. I would have it as a Back Up for my main guitar, a Jackson RR3. The strap buttons look quite small, but strap locks will fix that.

The guitar was set up very well. It needed some attention though. Wiring was loose and pick ups had to be raised. But other than that it was kept in pristine condition. The action was as low as it could go and that suits me. But other than some buzzing one one machine head, low output on the bridge pick up the guitar was in perfect order.

The Richwood Les Paul Custom artist series. The person I bought it off had it for two years but unfortunately I have no way of knowing when it was made or where. It's a 22 fret neck. It's not as chunky as actual Les Paul necks more off a C shaped neck. Its neck through construction and the cut away goes deeper than Standard LPs which gives greater access to the higher frets. It's a very comfortable neck more so than the Gibson necks. It's a solid top, mahogany body, Black gloss finish, cream outline and cream neck binding, tune-o-matic bridge, gold hardware, two passive humbucker alnico pick ups.

krisw2
    Have a RE-125 artist series LP, I'm only an amateur, but over the years have had the chance to play genuine Gibson SG's and LP's and this guitar seriously ROCKS!