RE125 CS review by Richwood

Richwood: RE125 CS

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Musicstore Cologne

Starting with the Alnico's: the Alnico's perform well on this guitar, they have a nice wide range and you can play anything from metal to blues on it. But as the saying goes 'Jack of all trades, master of none'. This is exactly what applies to these pickups. They miss the true raw power for heavy rock/metal but also the warmness and nice round sound for the bluesy types of music. Combined with the hollow body, the sustain isn't that great either. But we must judge this as to what it really is: a starters' guitar. For this role its performance is just top notch and can satisfy a guitar player well into his playing career. 5 years down the road and I still use it very often.

This guitar is a good start for any aspiring rock guitar player. It looks stunning, it sounds ok and it is a durable pice of equipment. I have been playing rock/metal for five years now and it has served me very well and still continues to do so. I also have had the luxury of comparison in the past years and I have to say that this budget guitar will hold its own very well. I think its one of the best guitars in its price range I have yet come across. If I were to lose it somehow, I would strongly consider buying one of these again.

I don't play gigs. But in the past five years of ownership of this piece of equipment I have to say that the durability is very good (apart from the switch/pods). It stays in tune pretty well, the neck hasn't deformed, only the gold hardware is starting to fade. It holds up nicely overall.

When the guitar was delivered there was literally nothing done with regards to setting it up. I had to do that myself. After that, the result was good. Although the action is a little high it plays like a charm. The best thing about this guitar is its finish though, it just looks wonderful. Almost eerily similar to a Gibson. Also the set neck is of good quality, it is straight as an arrow, no weird curves or bobs in the fretboard that you might find on a lot of low-tier guitars. The only downside is that the three-way-selecter switch and the pods are prone to fall to pieces. But that's nothing a replacement can't fix.

I picked mine up in 2007. It's your standard Les Paul copy, but what a copy it is, especially visually. It has 22 frets, a sonokelin fretboard with trapezoid inlays on a set neck. The body is hollow, so it is lightweight, with a cherry sunburst finish. It has Alnico 4 pickups, a three-way-selecter switch and a tone- and volume pod, separately for each pickup. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge in gold.

pandaemonium50
    I have played professionally for over 30 years and the only person to comment with sense is the original poster. The other comments are made by people who have no knowledge of this particular guitar yet still seem to think they are clever by dissing it. I, and a few other pros I know, rate this guitar very well. It's not top the the tree but its far more than just a beginner's guitar. I still use one on many gigs, principally as a trusted backup but also in some cases when its really good and specific sound is what I want. Moral of this comment? Those who post without knowledge of the instrument simply show themselves up as wannabes.
    rv_phoenix
    The "review" is as crappy as the "guitar" itself. These people think that, if they're delighted to touch something that looks like a guitar, that thing is a guitar. And a good one too. I bet this no-name competes with Stagg or Dimavery for the title of the worst LP copy in the world. ... Of course it's not a hollowbody at all. Our "experienced" reviewer doesn't make the difference between a hollowbody and a chambered body. He probably meant chambered, but I bet it's not the case: there's no way such a poor product, sold so cheap, would have a complicated chambered body. The "reviewer" doesn't even understand his guitar is so light because it's not made in the proper wood: the Chinese guys at that remote plant which mass-produces such crap have seen for the first time a guitar when they've started to assemble it. It's probably made in Alder or Basswood (most probably), not in Mahogany, as any decent LP should be. We can only wish to our amateur reviewer to buy as many guitars of this kind as he can. Leave the real thing for us!
    HostileDrummer
    this is my first guitar, I love it since the first day I had it back in 2006. I played it almost every day ever since! it needed a little tweaking over the years and I've put a new set of humbuckers in it (SH6 brigde and neck). the rest of the guitar didn't need any replacements or anything, good quality!
    COREYTAYLOR721
    yea chambered that's what i am thinking doesn't look bad but its prob built in china like a.....well u know its not built well.