360/6 review by Rickenbacker

• Reviewer's score: 5.2 Decent
Rickenbacker: 360/6

Purchased from: Alex Music, NYC USA

The Rick pickups are only good if you want a Rick sound. Other than that, the pickups are terrible. With this in mind, I removed the Rick pickups and added 2 Bill Lawrences. Then I added one of the Rick pickups into the center. Now, at least I can get some different sounds with the thing and if I ever need the Rick sound (I never need the Rick sound anymore), I can always use the center pick up.

I saw a chick at a music store who was all set to buy a Rick for a couple of grand. She was a beginner and she only wanted a guitar to play chords and sing along. I talked her out of the Rick and helped her find a really good Tele for only a couple of hundred. I think that says it all.

After 30 years, yer gonna have some problems. For example the pick guard cracked but I was able to glue it back together. All in all it has held up pretty well. One of the suggested questions is would you use this guitar at a gig without a back-up? Never never only bring one guitar and if you had to only bring 1 guitar, don't bring a Rick, unless of course you are only standing around looking pretty.

It's easy to adjust the action and the neck has 2 rods. Finish is pretty, it is a real pretty guitar but again with the strings being so close together got mark it down.

I bought this axe when I was kid back in 1976. Got it brand new. The reason why I'm writing this review is because I saw a glowing review of this axe posted by some else. Let me tell you the real deal about this guitar. While it may have 24 frets, look real pretty and have the Rick-O-Sound input for stereo playing (must be used with a stereo Y shaped chord), overall the guitar is a dog. It can only be used for chords in that the strings are so close together that soloing becomes a major problem. Thus, the guitar is for beginners and women. Ever notice that when Lennon learned how to play later in life, he didn't use a Rick anymore. Same thing goes for Townsend. However, I don't think Pete every really learned how to master a guitar. Again, a Rick is good for folks who only want to strum some chords and who have very small skinny fingers. I bought it so that I could look and sound like Lennon. However, one day I grew up and I wanted to sound like Hendrix, and then I wanted to sound like Muddy and Johny Winter and Vai and finally, I wanted to sound like me. You ain't gonna sound and play like Hendrix, Muddy or anybody worth talkin about on a Rick.