360/6 review by Rickenbacker

Rickenbacker: 360/6

Purchased from: Friend

I play good old honest punk music, not the MTV or Warped Tour s--t. It's very anti-folky, in fact I bought this guitar because I have an unhealthy obcession with a band called Against Me! and Tom Gabel plays one of these. Anyway lovely sound. It is also a ska machine. You can get full chunky upstrummed chords or cool jangly minor progressions. The pickgaurd actually aids in this, upstrokes are really easy. This would be a crappy guitar to have for metal or an other kind of mindless angry white boy music, the single coil pickups dont distort in an unhonest metal type way, although the idea of not being able to solo on a rickebacker is poo, the action makes them great for that. So its a 4 for lack of variety, although it should be a 5 if you buy it for the right type of stuff. The 4 is because I had a mediocre experience with it in my one day in a hardcore band. They sucked anyways.

I have been playing for a year and a half, and was enticed by the siren song of this guitar. It was worth the $800, and will remain fabulous for a very long time. One warning, do not buy this if you have a crappy amp. It will not do it justice and you will be disapointed. I now have a 65 music man head for it, and a homemade cabinaet of a few hundred watts and I am content, before in the old days of the ampeg I was regretting buying it. If it was stolen or lost, I wouldn't buy a new one, I would buy a baseball bat of a most high quality then find out who stole it. As far as comparing to other products, my dad keeps offering to trade me his 1976 Les Paul Custom for it. I just say no. It also doesn't have a prissy f shaped sound hole. Tis a manly slash mark. The picgaurd is also cool, in most pictures you don't notice it's rasied and adjustable. Remember, ska machine! You wouldn't think but it is. Also a folk machine! But bad for mindless angry white boy music! If thats your thang, dont buy this guitar, hit yourself with a rock and reevaluate your life. Then get away from that damn TV and computer, think for yourself, live in a juicy manner and go talk to people and make friends, and discover DIY and forget fashion. Let the Rickenbacker be your guide.

This thang will definently survive live playing. Think of everyone who used these. Google pictures of against me, and see tom getting yanked down by the audience and the like, and yet the Rickenbacker is still there and working, shining and triumphant. The strap buttons have only failed me once, but I was trying to play with my teeth and its a long story, I trust them more than the straplocks on my warlock. I would gig without a backup, and also without fresh underwear, if any at all. As far as the finish goes, I wouldn't be so worried if it werent so beautiful, but I am. The manual has a few pages on protevting the finish, it shoudl alst a while as long as your not an idiot. For a semi-hollowbody this is a beast.

I was the third owner, so I have no idea what it came like from the factory. The pickups seem fine, it doesnt need any adjustments. A far as the finish goes, dont belive any of those stunning pictures y'all see online. They dont so it justice. The finish is a few millimeters thick, and is really reflective. That means it reflects whatevers int he room with the picture and doesnt look quite so stunning as it really is. The action is godly. It is the main reason to buy this guitar. It's simply amazing beyond explanation. I should debunk the myth of the small scale. Unless your an absolute beast it shouldnt be a problem. I'm 6 foot 2, with your average large teenage boy hands. I can make the A chord (the one that would test to see the fit of your fingers the best) with just barely enough room to spare.

This is a 2000 Rickenbacker 360. It has 24 frets, and an extremely small delicate scale. It's made out of maple, is a semi hollowbody and has dead sexy grover tuners. My favorite feature is its blender knob. You can get very bassy tones, or the signature jangle with it, it sounds like nothing else. And finally it was made in America by skilled workers, not like my Warlock which was made by Santoso in the Phillipines. This is a plus for me. You can't be punk with a mass produced overseas type guitar.