360/6 review by Rickenbacker

Rickenbacker: 360/6

Purchased from: guitar center

I'd just like to start by saying that this guitar is definitley not for everyone. I play it combined with a Vox 15w and a Tubescreamer. I've played a ton of different electric guitars and I'd have to say that Rics are probably the most unique electric instruments out there. With that said, it can be a blessing at times, and annoying as at others. I was looking for a guitar that was a contrast to my Fender Strat, and I must say that this guitar fits the bill. The tone, feel, look, everything is completely unlike a Strat, obviously. However, I find this guitar rather difficult to play at times. I play a lot of melodic lead type stuff (U2, Radiohead, Phish) and this isn't necessarily a great guitar for that. The neck is very hard to get used to, at least for me it was. I still can't decide if I like the glossy fretobard or not. It's beautiful, but creates a lot of problems in playing lead. Also, it gets grimmy and dirty rather easily. My only complaints of this guitar lie in the feel of it. Everything about this guitar seems exaggerated, the thick, yet tight neck and the 24 frets create a strange feel that would probably turn a lot of players away. The scale length of this instrument is so bizarre, I kind of like it though. Overall though, the sound is great, the craftsmanship is wonderful, just not a guitar for someone looking to skip around with genres or play a lot of lead based stuff. I suppose once you get used to it, it could become your favorite instrument rather easily. Nothing out there is like a Ric. No noise, like all rics.

Overall, I have pretty mixed opinions of this guitar. I love the sound and look, but can't quite get a grasp on the feel. To me, it just feels a little too akward. Between the metal plate at the bridge (making palm-muting somewhat akward and difficult), the weird scale length, the wickedly glossy neck, and of course the crazy size and configuration of the neck, it is just a little hard to play at times. The guitar feels very tight, which isn't necessarily bad, but it isn't the type of guitar you can just sit down and whip out any style with ease. I've grown to appreciate the guitar for its uniqueness though, and it fits my needs of being a truly original instrument. I hate Les Pauls and PRS guitars, but still wanted a Humbucker equipped instrument, and the Ric not only gives a humbucker tone, but a tone that is totally unique to any instrument. I don't see myself learning to love this instrument, but I don't think I could sell it. Be wary of the Rics, they definitely aren't something that any player will appreciate, but for some people it may be the best thing ever.

The guitar is a monster. Nothing on this guitar will break, unless you are a moron and are asking for it. The finish should last if you are willing to take care of it, and treat it with the respect it deserves. You can definetely depend on this guitar when you need it, and I dont see a need for a backup unless you break strings easily.

The guitar was set up pretty strangely from the factory. The strings were waaaay high up, however I got that adjusted. Now they are a little too low, but regardless it's easier to play. I guess the pickups were adjusted well since they sound awesome. The guitar was brand new when I bought it, and it was flawless. Truly a work of ART. There is no Fender or Gibson that can match a Ric in quality control, especially at a 1,000 dollar price range. Probably because Rics aren't mass produced like Fenders and Gibsons are. The tone knobs are really cool, and the blender knob is unique and usable.

1992 Mapleglo 330/6 with black pickguards & hardware. Semi-hollow, 24-frets, ebony fretboard. Neck through body. 2 volume, 2 tone, groovy mix knob for optimum balance between powerful single coil pickups.

severin
    JboyShyne sounds open minded does he not? Rather than finding his own identity he wants to be someone else. Too bad that prevented him from realising that different tools are for different purposes. By the way, Lennon is on the record for saying that the reason behind the Rickenbacker was because the Beatles wanted a unique sound at the start of their careers, as in 1963 the Fender Stratocaster was incredibly popular.
    Clapton Rocks!
    one question do any of you guys recommend this guitar to play the blues style of music? Like some BB King,Eric Clapton, or Robert Cray type of stuff.
    sacrifise8
    ahh, this really makes me so jealous that I can't get one of these damn things, I think they're probably my dream guitar that I've yet to play, but dream of, the sound is so awesome when the beatles play 'em, and when against me is jamming on them it makes me want to sell a damn car just to buy one of these things.
    E V H 5150
    Angry white boy music? Well, I guess it's better to be angry and white than wearing your siters pants, and getting grounded for stealing her makeup.