Special 6 Ultra review by VHT

VHT: Special 6 Ultra

Price paid: € 222

Purchased from: Thomann

I'm playing with a Cort G260 and lots of different pedals (always changing). I find in the ultra channel it's quite muddy and doesn't keep the original tone. I use DOD250 or a colour sound power boost for my main distortion and overdrive, these work really well with the amp. I think the amp fits all the styles I play really well. On the clean channel its starts to distort around 2 o'clock. I think this amp sounds a bit dark buts fits very well with my DOD250. I like the clean setting because it's very clear.

If the amp was stolen I would probably buy a new louder amp but what voiced like this one, such as the 12/20 watt one. Over all a very good amp for all the styles I play.

I wouldn't gig with a backup because this amp is built like a tank. I've had the amp for over two months and haven't come across any problems with it.

I mainly play blues, rock 'n' roll and hard instrumental rock. When cranked it gives a really nice classic tone that's good for rock. It has two channels, two speaker out connections and a tube driven effects loop. It doesn't have reverb, treble, bass or mids controls just a tone control for the three. I can easily be heard over my band at practice, the amp can be micced for gigs. I find the low/high power switch and watts control good when I'm practising at home.