Strut Review

manufacturer: RJ date: 06/03/2014 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

RJ: Strut
This guitar is a great Stratocaster copy with the wrong stuff and setup.
 4.7
 5.8
 3.5
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Strut Reviewed by: rocky.clavecill, on june 03, 2014

Purchased from: RJ Guitar Center

Features: Made in the Philippines.
- Left Handed RJ Strut
- Body: Alder
- Bridge: Tremolo
- Pickups: 3 Single Coil Passive RJ Brand
- Switch: 5 way switch - Controls: 1 Vol 2 tones

When I first played it without the proper setup done. It sounded great. Bought it at an RJ cash sale at 50% off and yes I still didn't have it setup yet to this day. RJ Guitars tend to be not setup properly but that depends on the guitar. // 7

Sound: I play grunge to modern rock it suits this kind of playing style. I play this through a Zoom G1XN in a Mac Smith MS15 15 watt amplifier. It sounds ok for a beginner like me who already turned pro. In 2 years. When I bought it the output jack was rusted and had it replaced with a stainless one, so is the pots and cables. It can make any kind of sound thus the Stratocaster being the overall guitar that can make any sound through it's 5-way switch. I recommend putting the switch to the bridge position and that can get you a John Lennon Rickenbacker tone. Put it in the neck position and you can sound like Eric Clapton to Jimi Hendrix. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't have it setup properly still finding someone who can set it up properly, if someone is interested to set it up please pm me. The pickups are aligned perfectly, although I see some pickup screws that are not screwed on but I guess they did that so it can be adjusted to it's proper height. The guitar has a bit of unstable tuning, when I want to play power chords cause when I hit the D or D# power chord the tune is off lots of sustain and the tuning was stable before I power chorded, after off tune. So when I power chord I tune the g string a little high and then power chords are in tune. As I said the output jack was rusted when I bought it, but the other parts are ok. Paint quality is bad. I suggest stripping the paint of the body and painting it with a reputable brand of paint. // 2

Reliability & Durability: If this was setup properly it can withstand anything. Pickups will last as long as no water goes to them (like that would happen). But electronics, nope. I had the pots and jacks and cables replaced. Strap buttons are big than a usual strat copy and it's ok. I can't use this without a backup Les Paul/V/SG/whatever humbucker guitar. As I said, replace the paint on the body, it's been 2 weeks since I've been using it and the paint is tearing off and I didn't even touch the parts. If you replace the paint it will last. // 5

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 2 years and learned a lot in those 2 years. I wanted to ask if they can have it setup properly since the cost was high and it sounds like ****. If it was stolen I would not buy it again, I would buy the original Fender Strat. I love that it's a great copy with the wrong stuff and setup. (Love = Hate). I compared this with my old Rockstar China strat copy and yes, my old one sounds better, plays better, than the RJ. I wish it had a Floyd Rose tremolo so it will have no more tuning problems. // 5

More RJ reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Pu Bass 6.1 Bass Guitars 06/14/2013