LC-10 Electric Guitar Kit review by Saga

Saga: LC-10 Electric Guitar Kit

Purchased from: Unchainedguitars.com

I play a lot of punk, so the Les Paul is ideal for me, and it's got a little feedback that actually sounds pretty good thru my Crate GFX 1200H, with which I use chorus and a DOD Extreme Distortion pedal. The only setting I like is treble (as opposed to rhythm), and I turn all the knobs all the way up. It sounds pretty good clean too, and more like a regular paul than you might expect with a basswood body instead of mahogany. It sounds best if you're running flat out, with either lots of distortion and gain, or none at all.

I've been playing for about 2 years now, and this guitar totally suits the punk power chord stuff I play. It's good for the solos I throw in, but it wouldn't make a good lead instrument cause it weighs a ton. If it got stolen I'd probably get an Epiphone, but hopefully I'd kick some guy's ass if he stole it cause it means quite a bit to me. I love it most cause my dad and I made it together, so that's cool, but I hate the pickups. I wants some open-coils, so I'll Switch those out. I've compared it too some epis and gibsons, and while it's not like the more expensive models it's definitely a good buy if you're willing to sepnd the time on it.

This guitar, now that I've modified it, will take quite a thrashing, and the hardware's pretty tough too. I replace the strap buttons with some bigger ones I got from my brother, and the finish might come off with time but that'll look cool too. As for playing it w/o a backup, well, you should always have a backup.

Since I set it up, I guess it's on me, but they could have made it easier. The neck socket was really f--ked up, so I had to put in some shims, and the screws stripped out so I had to replace them, as well as drilling out the holes and gluing in some 1/2 inch oak dowel. The nut was horrible, so I had to file it down, and the output jack kinda sucks too. The holes weren't perfect, but they worked. All of this stuff was easily fixable since I work in a woodshop, and I applied a cool finish. The top of the body I sprayed a medium blue, and the back and sides were done in black. I did the neck in black as well, and the top of the headstock was done the sem blue as the body. Some sand and sealer and lacquer later, and it looked pretty good. I deserve a 9.

It's basically a Les Paul with a basswood body, flamed maple top, mahogany back and cream/black binding. The maple looked like it had been hit with a belt sander, so I painted it. The neck is supposedly maple, but I'm not so sure, but the fret board is obviously rosewood. It's got a Tune-O-Matic bridge and two generic humbuckers (not open coil though). I'd like to switch 'em out with 2 Seymour Duncans. 2 volume, 2 tone, 22 frets. The tuners are actually pretty good, but I'd replace them with some Grovers. It came with a cable, but that's it. Oh yeah and a Saga decal too, but I put my name on it cause Saga is kinda lame.

gtr-boy
    that looks so cool but isnt that a stupid concept that u have to build it what if u did something wrong cause im a good guitarist and i wouldnt know how to put on of those together. i just dislike the building concept
    the_hippy_way!!
    they give a manual so you know how to put it together, plus you still need to know a bit about working with wood and electronics
    Mongoose87
    The point is the building. It's another step towards knowign the guitar better, and maybe, someday, building one fron nearly scratch, in order to suit you perfectly.
    Overaid
    That's quite interesting for those who wants to start building their own guitars (like me)it's a step forward at a cheap price, a cheap LP body without any other part can cost you hundreds more. So it's really interesting
    seek_&_destroy
    the hole point of buying those kits is to build the guitar... why else wouldn't you just buy a les paul? the point is you get to take the care of assembling it, as opposed to some disgruntled factory worker who wants to go home early
    Gitarrenspieler
    by the way putting it together wasn't that hard. the only hard part was finding files that I could use on the nut. the thinner notches I just used a new utility knife blade and scraped back and forth in the slot. other than that it was pretty easy. if you don't know what to do take it into your local guitar shop and they can give you ideas (il ive in NorCal so I went to Guitar Showcase).
    stafford5150
    waw i thort this would be like some cheap starter style guitar like stagg but less well known, that looks pretty awesome.
    Gitarrenspieler
    building it isn't hard. however, the neck hella expanded over this last summer somehow, and the guitar went from having mega high action to having the strings flat against the frets... looks like guitar shop for me. if you get one, make sure you tweak it a bit
    ac stratocaster
    i'm getting the lc 10 soon and am gunna stain the flamed maple blue and do a silver burst, do you think the body would take a stain?
    cobraman115
    i stained the sides and back put the front i did gold top ... itll hold the stain
    Mad Mike 829
    this would have been waaaaay easier if the schematics actually matched the wire colors