LC-10 Electric Guitar Kit review by Saga

Saga: LC-10 Electric Guitar Kit

Purchased from: craigslist

Definately a rock guitar. The amps are pretty decent for a kit guitar, I can't comment much on it because i had it with a 10R frontman amp so that sucked but it still sounded like a legit rock tone. If you put some seymour duncans or any alnico classics on it, you can sound just like Slash but I'm not sure if its good for recording... I guess that depends on your amp and how you mic ur music.

I love it... The only things I would change is the pickups of course, and even that isnt that much of an issue... And the neck because I love trapezoid inlays which is a preference. Other than that, this guitar is amazing its definitely up there with Epiphone if only it had better pick ups, it would even be better.

God I would say its reliable because it was a kit and it lasted pretty long. I keep dropping it, because my strap sucks!, but nothing happens to it. If anything, you can just sell it as road worn...

This one I had a little trouble with. I bought it used and it was in not that good of a shape. It would be considered road worn if anything but the guy said he had it for couple years and it still sounded like butter. The finish is pretty good but the only thing i had trouble with was the head part which said Saga in crappy letter with nothing else on it. Other than that it was such a good guitar and the fretboard was like it was carved by angels, its a smooth run.

I don't really know what year it was made. It is a kit so whatever year you make it is the year I guess. I bought it completed and it was in awesome condition. i dont remmeber the exact scales and such but it is a 22 fret rosewood fretboard and maple for both neck and body. tune-omatic Bridge and 700t-650r humbucker pickups if im correct. The one thing that sucks is its not a trapezoid inlay guitar or else it would be just like an Epiphone.

Zigeuner
    I just finished my Saga LC-10. The kit was excellent. The sanding sealer was nicely done and the maple veneer on the top has a very nice grain to it. The neck to body fit was extremely good and I had no difficulty assembling the neck after finishing the neck and body. The headstock on the neck looked rather plain so I added a nice Brazilian Rosewood cap veneer on the top of the peg head. That caused the headstock to be 1/16" too deep to take the tuners so I thinned the back of the headstock down to .600, the same as my Gibsons. I shaped a Gibson type scroll on the end of the headstock and made a triangular truss rod cover from 1/8" black ABS sheet. It looks great! For finishing I used clear nitrocellulose lacquer tinted with Stewart Macdonald's Vintage Amber tint. I masked the binding very carefully and built up a very nice amber tone with about 5 coats of tinted lacquer. Once I had the color where I wanted it, I finished it with 5 more coats of clear lacquer with light color sanding in between every other coat. It came out very nice indeed. Once the finish was done, I assembled the instrument and tested it. The only issue I found initially was that there were three high frets. A bit of work with a soft fret hammer and my fret crowning files and all was well. I used the strings that came with it to set the guitar up and then changed to Ernie Ball regular Slinkies, which I use on all of my electrics. When the guitar was done and plugged in, I had a bit of excess hum in both of my amplifiers, a Fender Frontman 10g practice amp and a vintage Fender Deluxe Reverb. Using test probes, I discovered that adding a ground wire from the three-way switch case to the elevator screw on the front pickup greatly diminished the hum. The pickups are grounded together so no further grounding was needed. The three-way switch has a lug on the case for just such a wire. I'm happy to report that the tone and playability of this guitar matches other electrics that I own, which shall remain nameless. For the price that I paid plus a nice hard shell case from an eBay seller, I'm into it less than $250 and I am very pleased with it. I recommend the LC-10 to anyone who wants a Les Paul type instrument but maybe doesn't have a lot of money to spend. Mine is a keeper!
    metfan1995
    I'm gonna get the flying v style one, and spend the rest of the year making it just as good as a Gibson,
    Insane_Hippy
    ^Should have just made that comment a review =P. Very interesting idea there with the build-it-yourself kit, and I'm glad to hear you guys got (or made, rather) a nice guitar out of it. I'm interested in the whole guitar-building aspect, so I feel very tempted to get one of these things, but I'm too afraid that I would screw everything up horribly, lol.