LC-10 Electric Guitar Kit Review

manufacturer: Saga date: 03/10/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Saga: LC-10 Electric Guitar Kit
Building your own electric guitar was never easier! Here is your chance to express yourself by creating a one-of-a-kind masterpiece. The LC-10 is a single cut-away, arch-top machine that will easily accomodate any of todays music styles, design being limited only by your imagination.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 5,574
reviews (2) 16 comments vote for this gear:
LC-10 Electric Guitar Kit Reviewed by: Gitarrenspieler, on october 25, 2006

Purchased from: Unchainedguitars.com

Features: It's basically a Les Paul with a basswood body, flamed maple top, mahogany back and cream/black binding. The maple looked like it had been hit with a belt sander, so I painted it. The neck is supposedly maple, but I'm not so sure, but the fret board is obviously rosewood. It's got a Tune-O-Matic bridge and two generic humbuckers (not open coil though). I'd like to switch 'em out with 2 Seymour Duncans. 2 volume, 2 tone, 22 frets. The tuners are actually pretty good, but I'd replace them with some Grovers. It came with a cable, but that's it. Oh yeah and a Saga decal too, but I put my name on it cause Saga is kinda lame. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of punk, so the Les Paul is ideal for me, and it's got a little feedback that actually sounds pretty good thru my Crate GFX 1200H, with which I use chorus and a DOD Extreme Distortion pedal. The only setting I like is treble (as opposed to rhythm), and I turn all the knobs all the way up. It sounds pretty good clean too, and more like a regular paul than you might expect with a basswood body instead of mahogany. It sounds best if you're running flat out, with either lots of distortion and gain, or none at all. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Since I set it up, I guess it's on me, but they could have made it easier. The neck socket was really f--ked up, so I had to put in some shims, and the screws stripped out so I had to replace them, as well as drilling out the holes and gluing in some 1/2 inch oak dowel. The nut was horrible, so I had to file it down, and the output jack kinda sucks too. The holes weren't perfect, but they worked. All of this stuff was easily fixable since I work in a woodshop, and I applied a cool finish. The top of the body I sprayed a medium blue, and the back and sides were done in black. I did the neck in black as well, and the top of the headstock was done the sem blue as the body. Some sand and sealer and lacquer later, and it looked pretty good. I deserve a 9. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar, now that I've modified it, will take quite a thrashing, and the hardware's pretty tough too. I replace the strap buttons with some bigger ones I got from my brother, and the finish might come off with time but that'll look cool too. As for playing it w/o a backup, well, you should always have a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 2 years now, and this guitar totally suits the punk power chord stuff I play. It's good for the solos I throw in, but it wouldn't make a good lead instrument cause it weighs a ton. If it got stolen I'd probably get an Epiphone, but hopefully I'd kick some guy's ass if he stole it cause it means quite a bit to me. I love it most cause my dad and I made it together, so that's cool, but I hate the pickups. I wants some open-coils, so I'll Switch those out. I've compared it too some epis and gibsons, and while it's not like the more expensive models it's definitely a good buy if you're willing to sepnd the time on it. // 9

LC-10 Electric Guitar Kit Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2011

Purchased from: craigslist

Features: I don't really know what year it was made. It is a kit so whatever year you make it is the year I guess. I bought it completed and it was in awesome condition. i dont remmeber the exact scales and such but it is a 22 fret rosewood fretboard and maple for both neck and body. tune-omatic Bridge and 700t-650r humbucker pickups if im correct. The one thing that sucks is its not a trapezoid inlay guitar or else it would be just like an Epiphone. // 9

Sound: Definately a rock guitar. The amps are pretty decent for a kit guitar, I can't comment much on it because i had it with a 10R frontman amp so that sucked but it still sounded like a legit rock tone. If you put some seymour duncans or any alnico classics on it, you can sound just like Slash but I'm not sure if its good for recording... I guess that depends on your amp and how you mic ur music. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This one I had a little trouble with. I bought it used and it was in not that good of a shape. It would be considered road worn if anything but the guy said he had it for couple years and it still sounded like butter. The finish is pretty good but the only thing i had trouble with was the head part which said Saga in crappy letter with nothing else on it. Other than that it was such a good guitar and the fretboard was like it was carved by angels, its a smooth run. // 8

Reliability & Durability: God I would say its reliable because it was a kit and it lasted pretty long. I keep dropping it, because my strap sucks!, but nothing happens to it. If anything, you can just sell it as road worn... // 10

Overall Impression: I love it... The only things I would change is the pickups of course, and even that isnt that much of an issue... And the neck because I love trapezoid inlays which is a preference. Other than that, this guitar is amazing its definitely up there with Epiphone if only it had better pick ups, it would even be better. // 10

Comments